4Rt New 260 - Who's Got One?

johnnyboxer

A second-hand 2014, just followed me home to join the stable and to replace the much loved 2007. So before its sold here are the two side by side. First impressions:

• Weighs the same loading it onto a trailer. Damn. There's probably a kilo of over-enigneered plastic clips and mounting hardware - the gas cap breather hose for instance has 3 'rubber' hoses, a hard plastic fume gatherer, and a right angle plastic joining piece. A complex solution to a simple problem.
  • Once underway, the front really does feel much lighter and easier to loft over a log.
  • Found that I can turn tighter, more easily. More like a Beta. But I think that's because I've come from an '07 and the geometry there is a long way back in time.
  • Bark is deeper, mid-range grunt is there for the asking.

Feels a very grown-up bike. What I imagine a date with Emily Blunt would be like. You'd feel privileged and having to be on your best behaviour. Fabulous company? Yes of course. Better than you? Certainly. Take you places you've never been? Quite possibly. Wild and out of control? Not in its nature. Perfect to take home to mother.IMG_5271.jpg

Edited by ross brown
  • Like 2

Can I play spot the non-stock bits, Ross!

Grips look like rental greys?

Pegs changed?

Levers changed?

Case saver installed?

Down a tooth in front sprocket?

Dust caps on tube stems changed?

Front light assembly changed for Montesa flat plate?

Nice bike by the way!

Mags

Edited by mags

Can I play spot the non-stock bits, Ross!

Mags

Nothing wrong with your Mark 1 calibrated eyeball. The lanyard kill switch was impossible to spot.

Next mod is to make another 'grabber' out of old tie-downs as on the '07. Probably one of the more useful 4RT additions. I don't understand why grab handles - or finger holds - are not built into the shape of the air box or exhaust mounts. Quite a few Enduro bikes have these now, especially KTM.

• Like 1

Nice one Ross but if it has the Dunlop front tyre ,take it off and use it on or for something else.

Just put an X lite on mine and it handles tons better. The sump shield only does half a job too

and exposes the clutch case . I put an after market one on which is much better.

Quite funny you say about the breather assembly, i couldn't believe how heavy the pipes are .

Thought they were lead lined.

Ted.

Edited by shyted

• 7 months later...

H&D racing one at £110. ish and while your at it , throw the two heavy steel bolt's in a dark area of your workshop and replace with some quality stainless domed cap heads.

Really is much better.

Edited by shyted