Uncl Charlie Tech Tip #6424

charliechitlins

--Replace the flywheel and turn it so one of the holes is at 12 o'clock.

--Measure the distance from that hole to the bend in the frame just above the swingarm pivot.

--Drill 2 holes in a bar (or get a piece of that angle iron with holes in it used for metal shelving), put a bolt in each hole and secure with nuts.

--One of these bolts will go into the hole in the flywheel (not too far, or it'll bugger up your stator), and the other will rest against said crook in the frame.

This simple doodad will keep the flywheel from turning while you apply the proper amount of torque,

I'm sure it could be adapted to other brands, but I like Shercos :D

Nah. If you've seen him ride, you know he spends LOTS more time on the net than on his bike.

I chalk it up to his having kids. They're like intellectual Black Holes - if you get too close to them for too long, your brain disappears into them, never to escape.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this for real <_<

Simply use a nematic of electric impact driver (and hold the flywheel with a cloth). The ones they use to get the nuts off of cars wheels. Bought my electric impact driver down the local Car Accessories shop.

you could also spend the equivilant of 4/5 packets of fags and treat yourself to a proper flywheel holding tool, which will do virtually any bike flywheel...

S,M.

Edited by 348mate

PS. I use the air gun to remove, and to very loosely assemble, but like charlie I use a wrench for final tightening.

Even my 3/8 gun has the potential to take the threads out of the nut, or possibly off the crankshaft. I just don't want the risk.

• 2 weeks later...