Team Swm's New Recruit

baldilocks

Hi folks

Rode my newly acquired 280 yesterday. I think its an 80 or 81 model. Black frame with sumpguard and Marzocchi forks.

Can you answer some questions

How much oil and what grade for the forks ?

Pre mix 50:1 ?

What oil for gearbox ?

Bike has dellorto carb which I am about to clean , any ideas on std jet sizes and needle for uk ?

Cheers

My bike had the wrong slide (60) and wrong pilot jet (also 60).

For yesterdays trial i fitted the 70 slide specified by Martin and it was 100% better, some improvement was probably down to cleaning the carb i think. I have now ordered the correct pilot jet as i have the mixture screw fully in. Also ordered some rock shocks as rear suspension will be an advantage i think.

Next jobs are a new clutch cable and to fix the baffle plate thats rattling inside the exhaust.

Really happy with this as a project and having a lot of fun. Bike development is underated in some respects. I put my Gas Gas on the box stand on saturday then did the same with the SWM, its a bit heavier ! You dont realise how much bikes have improved in terms of performance until you have them both to compare. However i do like the heavy flywheel on the SWM, its almost impossible to stall even in third gear.

Happy Days...

• Like 1

Yep cleaning the carb and all the jets can improve the overall performance very much. The heavy flyweight and the "soft" acceleration is also very useful when the ground is slippery, anyway steps and logs need forward looking riding. ;)

Good cluth cables are essantial, you can get one from Martin or Venhill, the Venhill should have the special sleeve with an oils seal which fits to the clutch case when I remember right ... in reality of my experience you don't need the clutch so much on the SWM ...

• Like 1

... anyway steps and logs need forward looking riding. ;)....

Gonna have to get used to that on the 320 I just got too,man,it's so beauty smooth and really is powerful,but the response is on a different calender day than my Fantic 240.Chickened out on the Trials Inc. Vintage Cup Finale and rode my Fantic both days,sections were tougher than I usually ride my Modern Sherco in as all skill levels rode the same line.After the last loop on the second day In fired up the SWM and rode another loop,cleaned almost every section that I was able to clean on the Fantic,just have to time yourself differently. Think I'm gonna like this big yeller thing!

• Like 1

Hi all,

It´s really amazing how the bikes just do not want to stall.

I ride a cota 349 quite often for a change but keep coming back to my SWM´s :hyper: (but not the Jumbo 350 as this is a differnt cup of tee and I´m thinking of selling it).

Ian

• Like 2

Hi all,

It´s really amazing how the bikes just do not want to stall.

I ride a cota 349 quite often for a change but keep coming back to my SWM´s :hyper:(but not the Jumbo 350 as this is a differnt cup of tee and I´m thinking of selling it).

Ian

Retard the ignition all the way, put a flywheel weight on it and it too will become impossible to stall. It will still pull like a train but won't try and leap out of your hands when you touch the throttle

• 3 weeks later...

Next question.

Bike has marzocchi forks but they were topping out and felt a bit dead. I guessed previous owner had put too little oil in and changed the oil to 220ml of grade 5 to make them a bit more lively. However forks are still topping out so im wondering if the spacers on top of the springs are too big ? Anyone know how long spacers should be. Ill put grade 10 back in when I get some.

I thing the springs are shot, something that can occur after 30 + x years. Depending your budget I would look up used springs, new ones, aftermarket springs with progressive spring rate, ...

Another trick for good clutch action is to use a cable with a big inner cable diameter and teflon as grease" or change the balls and the actuator at this very special clutch mechanism inside the side cover of the engine.