Which 4 Stroke?

scrambler

I am by no means an expert rider, but I am not a complete novice either. For the last couple of years I have been practicing on a Scorpa 175 4t and am now thinking I would like something more competitive. I like 4 strokes, so I'm thinking Montesa 260, or Beta evo 250/300 4t. From what I have read, I think I would be better with the Beta than the old Montesa, but it's possible the new 260 is a different beast? If I went for a Beta, why would I pick the 250 over the 300 or the 300 over the 250?

beta 300 has quite a bit more go than the 250 ,,and i think has'nt got the throttle lag of an older 4rt ,i've got a mont and a beta and both are excellent bikes and given a little time you should find both are good.couple of friends have tried the mont and struggled and since bought betas that there both happy with.

also beta has more lock on steering and the mont has better suspension.....take your choice.

i'd say the 300 4t is has as much power as a 300 2 stroke just the power seems longer and more linear,i think it's easy to ride as well,the 250 i rode felt a bit flat to me but i've only had a short ride on a 250.

i'd say the 300 4t is has as much power as a 300 2 stroke just the power seems longer and more linear,i think it's easy to ride as well,the 250 i rode felt a bit flat to me but i've only had a short ride on a 250.

I hear people say "don't go for a bike with to much power, a 250 (2 stroke) will be more than enough". But there aren't many used Beta 250 4t's. So what I'm asking is will a 300 4t be a little pussycat if I want to ride it like that? As well as having enough poke to get the adrenalin flowing occasionally? Do the Beta's have soft and aggressive ignition maps as standard? Do they make much difference?

I am also trying to decide between these two bikes.

1) which one is quieter?

2) I know the monte is very reliable, is the beta as reliable? (I've been wrenching a lot on my current bike and I am tired of it!)

3) who makes the Beta engine?

Thanks