True Grit.

cota kid

Reading a report of the trial there seems to be a great deal of praise for the courage and determination shown by Dougie in completing day 2 of the French Round. Which was contrary to Doctors advice. He even went on the clean the section were he had his serious crash. Much to the delight of the crowd. It even describes Doug as special and not from this planet.

He is special and he isn't from this planet. He's from Yorkshire.

What a bloke?

It totally exasperates me that they continue to hand out "sportsman of the year" type awards to fifty-grand-a-week football jessies who get stretchered off in "agony" if an opposing player so much as goes near them but real heroes like Doug go totally unmentioned by the popular media. Forget the fact that he's a trials rider, sheer bloddy-minded determination shuch as that shown by Dougie this weekend should be publicised far and wide as an example of real courage and what can be achieved in the face of adversity.

I know I'm starting to sound like a bit of a fanboy and it's really cheesy but reading the press release on the front page reminded me of some spoken dialogue in a Steve Vai track (can't remember the title - no doubt someone will remind me):

"I am fearless in my heart. They will always see that in my eyes. I am the passion. I am the warfare. I will never stop. Always constant, accurate, intense."

With the greatest respect to Dougie, is he the only rider that 'bins' it in a big way during a w/c round or is he the only one the gets hurt? Or is this a reflection on that "grit"?

It could be that he's more likely to hang on until the last minute before bailing?

Maybe others play safer when it's all looking a bit grim. Dunno.

There's been a fair few other smash ups to be fair though.

It could be that he's more likely to hang on until the last minute before bailing?

That was mentioned at the weekend. Also the fact that the young lads are used to falling and they know how to fall. Dougie isn't used to making mistakes. Finally - he's a big lad and, as they say, the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Fuji had a big off on Sunday that could have been equally as serious. Jake has a photo sequence of it. I know some of the photos were a bit out of focus as the camera couldn't keep up, but I'll see if I can get them since he was okay after it.

It *really* p****d me off that some Italian photographer was all over Dougie on the stretcher when he came back to the paddock. There's some things you just don't do and that's one of them, IMO.

Maybe others play safer when it's all looking a bit grim. Dunno.

There's been a fair few other smash ups to be fair though.

Hanging on till the last sec occured to me after I "put down the phone".

I wonder how many practice bikes Doug'll wear out before the next round :D

I think the "Big bloke" thing may have a bearing on it definitely.

Before I was a "Big Fat Bloke", I was always a "Big Bloke".

Even if you seem to be in proportion, you just never fall like a small bloke.

Things happen faster and bigger.

A scrum half will roll over cool as a cucumber and be back on his feet in the blink of an eye. The second row goes down like a sack of sh*t with limbs flailing. You don't seem to see many basketball players fall gracefully no matter how fit they are. Who knows, maybe a combination of things....but lets agree not to go with the age argument, or it puts some of us with one foot in the grave :D

I think the "Big bloke" thing may have a bearing on it definitely.

Before I was a "Big Fat Bloke", I was always a "Big Bloke".

Even if you seem to be in proportion, you just never fall like a small bloke.

Things happen faster and bigger.

Issac Newton found a good word for it - Gravity

At 14.5 stone I know what he's talking about now, never really understood when I was at school :D

Although Doug is a 'big bloke' he is as fit as a butchers dog. Being so fit can only help you in a fall, can't it? However sometimes you just hold on to long for your own good.

As regards the Italian photographer. Well what I think of him ryhmes with Ossa.