Ty80 Running Now Won't Start

biggegg

hi everyone,if anyone can shine a light on this i would be very grateful,we have among other bikes a ty80 which has just had a re bore,new piston etc etc(carb rebuild kit about 3 outings ago) so today our first outing since the re bore and after about 1-2 hrs of gentle riding(no more than half revs) with a couple of little breaks in between we stopped for something to eat and drink(20 mins) and when we went to start it it wouldn't start, there's a good spark,stripped carb and nice and clean and clear?? seams strange as it didn't break down,we stopped it.

hi b40rt the plug was wet,and had a very strong spark?? didn't even want to try and start,but it was running fine when we turned it off. i might pull the bike apart tomorrow if i get time,possibly check the cylinder bore and rings(they should be fine as my son was very gentle on the throttle but you never know?)just seams strange as it never actually broke down

thanks

shaun

I had similar with my daughters ty80' left te fuel on when stopped, couple of hours later the bike was so flooded it would not start. Took endless plug drying and kicking to grit going again, when it finally did fire it took about 20 minutes to burn and pump the flooded fuel through the exhaust. Made a hell of a mess of the patio stones which the wife still reminds me of at every opportunity

• Like 1

hi totty 79, small world,we left not long after you,didn't think it was fair me and the oldest son playing on the bikes and the little one video-ing on the phone,the oldest son loved it, it was his first time on a trials bike and he done quite well

hi,problem solved.it was the spark plug(quite a new one as well)when i originally checked it the spark must have been coming from the threads of the plug as when i rechecked there was no spark from the end of the plug(schoolboy error!!) i'm now going to the gas gas forum to ask about our gas gas 80 clutch issue

once again many thanks

I've had the same issue recently with plugs going, I changed everything electrical. As the throttle body was broke I changed it with one from Yambits which did not have the on/off switch. So I fitted an alternative one, run the bike for a day everything fine. Next day won't start fit new plug run fine, done this on 3 rides new plug everytime. So I fitted a proper on/off switch with wires between the coil and magneto wire and it is fine. I think it did not like running to earth like the new bike. Just a thought if you have fitted a different kill switch as I did.

the kill switch that is on came with the bike,the new plug had only done one outing plus a couple of hours on Saturday before it gave up.the kill switch is separate to the throttle and looks quite old,i guess I will find out whether it was a bad(new plug) or something else after we have another couple of outings.i think now that a lot of things are mass produced to quite a low standard