Evo 4

pa.

With so much chat going on in the other sections I am surprised there has been virtually no talk on here about the Beta.

Could it be because we are all so content with our 2 stroke Beta's we aren't in any hurry to for a Beta 4 stroke?

Why mess with perfection?

You've never had an ignition failure then.... :blink:

I'd agree though, the smoothness of the Beta engine low down is second to none of the modern bikes. Not a hint of snatch of jekiness on the 02 I had, or others I've ridden.

And if you sprinkle some water in the float bowl, you can make a Gasser sound just like a Beta :blink:

OK OK Just jokin'

I really thought long and hard about getting a Beta at my last bike change. Really struggled to decide.

One thing that turned me off a bit at the time was the number of Beta's that seemed to have trouble "clearing out" before a big hill. Is this a common carburation thing, or is it just that Beta riders are used to having to do less maintenance, so half of them have got mud in their float bowls from the past 6 months? That's said partly in jest, but wondering how much truth there may be in it? Do the latest Beta's rev out cleaner? Or was that never a problem, maybe it was just the odd few bikes I looked at at the time?

As an aside, the only other negative point at the time was the Beta seemed harder on the arms than the Sherco/Gasser. Not so much a problem maybe for decent fit riders, but a worry for us lardies :D

Heard a rumour from a good source that Beta will be sourcing 4 stroke engines from Honda, presumably the same ones as in the 4RT Mont; or potentially going down a fuel injection route with the 2 stroke to reduce emissions. Sound a little far fetched, but you never know.

One thing that turned me off a bit at the time was the number of Beta's that seemed to have trouble "clearing out" before a big hill. Is this a common carburation thing, or is it just that Beta riders are used to having to do less maintenance, so half of them have got mud in their float bowls from the past 6 months? That's said partly in jest, but wondering how much truth there may be in it? Do the latest Beta's rev out cleaner? Or was that never a problem, maybe it was just the odd few bikes I looked at at the time?

There are two mods - one is the float level mods discussed here many a time - this cleans up the tickover & initial running no end.

The other is to run the small jet kit - smaller pilot & main. The 05 250 was smooth without these & electric with them. Also the bikes really benefit from a regular silencer re-pack......... The noisey spluttery ones have none of the above.

And then there is another subject of tuning engines for trials - does too smooth lose grip? Are top experts bikes deliberately set up rich at idle to calm down a pokey motor?

I have it on good authority that the 4 stroke Beta will have a KTM derived engine & that there are a number of prototypes in existence already.

Beta are doing the developement work whilst watching the other manufacturers as well as the market place & will launch this new model when they think the time is right & there is sufficient demand.

Given the loyal following that the 2 stroke Beta machines have it will have to be some bike.