Tlr200 Ignition Marks

bashplate

Ok folks,

the timing marks on the flywheel ... 'f' mark lines up at tickover and as revs rise the timing light shows advance which keeps moving untill the 'II' marks and then goes no further. Is this as it should be, the Clymer manual for 200 hondas is a bit vague, saying advance STARTS at the 'II' marks, which sounds all wrong to me.

Cheers.

I'd say yours is working as designed , But I'll double check in my Factory Honda shop manual when I get a chance , I gave my clymer manual to a friend , as I found it very vague on several key points , better than nothing to go by , but not much ...

Glenn

Honda Service Manual for 1986 TLR 200 Reflex:

„T“mark is top dead centre (TDC).

Ignition time at idle is „F“mark, 7' before top dead centre (BTDC) at 1,300 ~ 100 rpm

Full advance is 33' BTDC at 3,000 ~ 100 rpm

Ignition timing is not adjustable.

If you don`t see the timing advance up to 3,000 rpm, your CDI-unit failed.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, i checked cam timing and all looks good tied another coil and standard cdi...and a cdi with no rev limiter...still got the miss at highish revs. Different spark plugs also no different. So looking at what Rollox said, would a slack cam chain cause this symtem, it doen't sound noisy....only other suggestion I've had is that the valve springs are rooted causing valve bounce.

Check the earth wire under the tank just in front of the seat, I think its green, clean the connection and make sure its tight. I had exactly that problem, ran fine till you revved it, then it would pop and bang.

TLTEL

Not tried the earth yet till weekend, but on another note....is the clutch cover removable with the motor in the frame??? Other honda 200's no problem, but the bracket which is welded to the frame for the kickstarter 'stop' looks like it might be in the way on the TLR?

• 2 years later...

Hello, I am running into the same problem.  I had to replace my tlr200 cdi with a black china box and I can't seem to get rid of the pops (misfires?) ah higher rpms.  Anyone have any luck with this issue?

The Chinese electronics can be of poor quality. Some can be good but a large percentage don't work properly from new. I would sooner buy a used genuine Honda CDI off ebay for twice the money of a Chinese knockoff. Honda electrics are very high quality.