Crap Getting In To Air Box 2003gasgas

kenny123

i have a gasgas 2003 and i have discovered that mud and dirt keeps getting through into the airbox. this has caused me to have a completely new engine costing a lot of money. i was just seeing if anybody else has had the same problem or anything alike. is this a main fault with the 2003model?

That applies to all the GasGas Pro's! :blink:

Best thing to do is dimantle the airbox and re-silicon it back up because the way the factory do it is pretty crap!

Also, use duct tape on the back of the airbox.

Should be alot better after re-siliconing it tho :D

ye i have siliconed it. so shal i duct tape it up the back onto the mudguard. al mud and dirt has got into the engine. and iv just found out that it needs alot doing to it. i was thinking about selling it but if i silicone it properly is it worth keeping

also i have another problem with the tank. at the side of the tank which is hiden behind the frame there is a small crack on the side causing petrol to spill out. this has been caused due to rubbing i think. nobody is interested in welding it as it is aluminium and is petrol?

I have an 03 Pro. There was loads of crap getting into the air box before I sorted it.

Two reasons, i) it was badly sealed when the two halves were joined in the factory and ii) the drain plug set up on the 02/03 is pants

The solution is to buy a new bottom half from John Shirt, it will be the later type, cost about

post-7-1120042711.jpg

r2w is right, use araldite. Lots of peoples tanks crack at the bottom of the left side! as you say, could be due to rubbing.

r2w has suggested all the right stuff :blink: I always now apply lots of airfilter oil to the bottom of the filter also stuf a sponge at the back of the airbox so water gets soaked up. It is alot better applying lots of air filter oil, dont care what anyone says!, with riding in lots of streams, i had problems with grit etc getting into the carb and it caused throttle sticking. after using more oil, it cured that. mainy to the bottom half. and make sure the bottom of the airbox has a hole (does it have some rubber thing on the 03's. I seem to remember taking it off mine which helped.

Car exhaust fumes fed into the tank kill the petrol vapour and enable the tank to be welded. Don't ask me how, I just know two alloy welders that use this method to repair tanks and they are both still alive and have all of their hair, eyelids and eyebrows....

You can get a kit which comprises a plastic plate which fits over the exhaust front pipe and covers the open area of the A frame in front of the barrel, and a small mudflap to fit on the bottom of the front mudgaurd. This stops a lot of crap getting into the airbox inlet behind the fuel tank. The kit is under a tenner. Try Haven Trialsport 01469 532600.