Modified Rack.

joeninety

I just thought I'd post some piccies of the modifications I made to my standard DC rack for the lighting board.

As you can see from the photos the lights and number board are all attached perminately to the rack. The off-side light has the number board illuminator blanked off so there is no visable white light from that side. The near-side lamp nicely luminates the rectangular number board. To attach all of this I got two lengths of captive nut channel used with 19" rack (electrical rack cabinets that is) equipment tack welded to the rack and then everything just bolts straight to it.

With regards to the electrics the near side has a plug that plugs into the car socket, this then goes to another socket attached to the rack and then splits off for the nearside lights. The off side rack has a plug which goes to the off-side lights and this plugs into the near-side rack socket. I used a cavavan type socket and plug for this to make it error proof.

I think bringing the lights to pretty much the extremity of the rack is a good thing and I don't like number boards hung from bikes and also I'm not convinced how legal a short board strapped to the rack under the bike is...

post-14156-0-34997000-1386067449_thumb.jpg

post-14156-0-13491000-1386067466_thumb.jpg

post-14156-0-23497400-1386067478_thumb.jpg

post-14156-0-68428900-1386067490_thumb.jpg

Edited by joeninety
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

does it stay attached to the car like that all the time then or is it just a matter of being careful when taking it off?

It removes from the car like any other Dave Cooper rack and I'm not any more or less careful than when the number board was seperate and each of the two sections just hangs on a hook in my garage when not in use... Job done.

• 3 weeks later...