Wheel Bearing Removal Mod.

mokwepa

Hi guys

Like me, I think allot of guys have struggled to remove wheel bearings from their Beta's due to the fact that there is no lip to drift the opposite bearing out. I see that there have been a few threads about it calling for bearing pullers, welding plates etc.......here is my way.

This might not be a good idea however I did spend a fair bit of time thinking about it and I cannot see any problems that could occur. I would like to hear your oppinions though.

1: Remove wheel

2: Remove top hats from both sides.

3: Use a large drift against the centre tube lip (inside the bearing) to drift the opposite bearing out only about 2 - 3mm.

4: The centre tube can now be shifted out the way and the bearings can be drifted out as normal.

MOD to make future removal easier:

5: Using a drift against the centre tube lip will often damage the lip and will not allow the axle to pass through.

6: I used a belt sander (use a file or sanding block) to remove the lip on one side (see diagram)

7: assemble as normal

Next time your bearings need to be changed, you now have a small lip to drift one bearing out. The centre tube is still performing its job as a spacer between the bearings inner races. Should there be some issues that I possibly over looked, please inform me and disregard this post.

Regards

Dylan

post-18493-0-57644500-1386840472_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

.... and think of the weight saving too!!

On a serious note, I dont think Sherco have any lip on their spacer tube. I could easily push it out the way with my drift. Mine has some draught excluder wrapped around the middle to keep the spacer tube centralised for re-assembly.

• Like 1

It shouldnt side load the bearing as the top hat and the centre tube all hold the bearing sqaure when the axle nut is tightened. ??

My 07 rev3 was the exact same setup as my 13 evo. Its the only time or bike that ive come across with this setup hence the reason I thought long and hard as to why beta chose this design. Still not sure.

@ anotherfive.....ok now I get it, you mean pulling the inner race towards the other bearing.

Im such a dork though......with taking that lip off, I still dont have a lip to drift the bearing out. What a idiot, cant believe I missed that :)

It is a very snug fit, that was my problem. Ill do a V/notch on the next change. Thanks for the help.

mate have a look at the link to that vid I posted on the trials uk site .. you only need a drift and a hammer and coin the right size - 1p piece ... cheap as chips and works ... simples :icon_salut: