Beta Mini Trial/ Gas Gas Boy?

shedcoal

Hi all just looking into either a gas gas txt boy 50cc or beta mini trial 50cc auto for my 5 year old. He currently has a 16inch oset which he is fine on but he is wanting a petrol bike. Has anyone any opinions or experience with them? Thanks

both good enough to get out on.

we had two beta minitrial old and new model never had a reliability problem-the gas gas 50 was a different story sold it for parts in the end.

another good bike is yamaha ty80 but it has a clutch although doesn't take to long to learn to pull clutch in to stop and let it out slowly to start off.

my son went from an OSET 16 to a 2010 model GG50 (in 2010). There have been a few minor problems with the GG but it is a strong performer with great suspension and brakes. We live and ride in a hot place. A friend's child rode a Beta 50 auto for a few years and the way the motor used to overheat and carry on did not impress me. We chose the GG because it is water-cooled with a thermo fan and copes very well with our climate.

I can list the little problems we have had with the GG50 if you want

How old was your son we he moved onto the gas gas? Did the gas gas perform better than the oset? I was going to keep him on the Osets for a while but thought it may be the best time to move him onto a petrol bike with him wanting to change.

The auto clutch is the problem. At first they seem fine. Once he starts to actually try to ride or compete they are fairly worthless. Get a nice ty 80 and it will last until he is big enough for a full size 80. Trick is to gear it low. 11 cs and 48-54 in the rear. That makes it slow enough that it almost cannot stall by the clutch plus it will make any hill. I also have a friend that just put on a hydraulic clutch on for only 40 dollars. My son started on a Yamaha pw 50, bought a new Beta auto. two ty 8o`s and then to a full size gas gas 80. Once he grows it is fairly easy to lower the foot pegs and put real pegs on the ty80. My son was a large boy and the ty was the best bike ever.

This crazy adventure started off when I sold my son`s bike. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=574301

i know it has a clutch but the ty80 is a great bike my daughter loved hers she is now on a evo 80 great bike . Just come home from a trial a friends lad was on his beta 50 that thing gripped everywhere brilliant little bike

Just recently got rid of our lads Sherco 50. Brilliant bike, much lighter than the Gas Gas and Beta and its what he moved onto after having an Oset for a few months. Kept riding it all through D class and loved it, it gripped really well and was fantastic for what it was.

Moved onto a medium wheel Rev 50 and really starting to get to grips with it now.

How old was your son we he moved onto the gas gas? Did the gas gas perform better than the oset? I was going to keep him on the Osets for a while but thought it may be the best time to move him onto a petrol bike with him wanting to change.

He was 9 when he started riding the GasGas, and we changed because the OSET was very difficult to ride in sand and water-worn stone creek beds, a function of the small diameter wheels and very short travel suspension on the 2007 model OSET 16. He was quite small for a 9 year old and could still fit the OSET OK as far as size goes when he was 9. He is 12 now and about the size of an average 9 year old and the GG50 is perfect for him. Yes the GG50 has a lot more power than the 24V OSET and it has very good suspension. The only riding drawback I found with the GG50 is that they come fitted with tyres that are not really trials tyres. They are commonly replaced with Cheng Shin tyres.

As far as clutches go, the GG50 has a clutch that can be made to work as a centrifugal clutch and/or as a manual clutch. As they come standard they are auto clutch with manual override, and if you take the springs off the centrifugal weights, it becomes a manual-only clutch.

For those people saying how good TY80s are, I agree.My son also rides a TY80. If we are going on a trail ride, or competing in a classic trial, he chooses the TY80 and when he is competing in a modern trial he usually chooses the GasGas 50

Edited by feetupfun

I don't know much about any of these bikes but we used to have a beta minitrial it was fine but we found it quite dangerous as it was my brothers and when I got on it it was very hard to control. As for the gas gas I haven't heard any bad reports on them and they seem a lot safer