1987 Fantic 303 Help Please

calebharry

Hey Guys,

First time posting on this forum, just want to ask a few questions...

A friend of mine gave me a 1987 Fantic 303, its a 250cc 2-stroke, 6-speed manual with clutch...

One problem, it doesn't start, im 99% sure its because the carburetor is clogged with dried-up 2 stroke oil. Because it has been sitting for about 2 years, not started at all while it had been sitting there... Theres a good spark, great compression, but theres no fuel getting to the cylinder... Fuel goes into the carburetor, and doesnt come out. What i would do is take the carburetor off, and clean it out, but theres another problem, i cannot take the carburetor off without removing the whole engine, i cant take the carburetor off to the rear, because the rear suspension is in the way... I MIGHT be able to take it off out to the side, i will give it a go tomorrow, it will definately need some tugging and pulling...

Does anyone have this bike or very similar that could possibly tell me if there is any other way to take of the carburetor?

Also, if someone in NZ has a spare rear brake cylinder for this bike, or one that would fit, and your feeling generous, i need one, the actual rod that connects the pedal thing - to the piston in the cylinder, is rusted, from about 7mm down to about 2mm at the thinnest point, and there is no springing action, so when you push it down, you have to physically pull it back up, and i dont think it releases the brake anyways...

Any help MUCH appreciated!

post-19450-0-15925800-1389432558_thumb.jpg

post-19450-0-06144300-1389432597_thumb.jpg

post-19450-0-22062500-1389432656_thumb.jpg

post-19450-0-60969000-1389432726_thumb.jpg

post-19450-0-28950800-1389432770_thumb.jpg

Boy do I wish I had friends like you! In UK several companies offer "Sonic Cleaning" for carbs etc, that's the place to start.

Good luck........or you could just give it away again, that's one way to make new friends :D

nice friend

Yes he's a very nice friend! He also gave me a 1964 Austin Cambridge A60 Sedan! How awesome haha

Boy do I wish I had friends like you! In UK several companies offer "Sonic Cleaning" for carbs etc, that's the place to start.

Good luck........or you could just give it away again, that's one way to make new friends :D

Im sure there will be companies here, probably actual dirt bike stored will do it, but i cant get it out! And i have no way of getting the bike down there!

Take the top shock bolt out. That will also remove the rear sub frame. Should give you plenty of room.

I tried that, first of all the bolt is fused and so i cant get it out (either that, or theres too much weight on it) and even if i could get it out, the bike would collapse to the ground and possibly break something, which i DO NOT want to do haha... I have no way to hold it up you see, might try mums car jack when she gets home!

Im thinking of squirting a little fuel into the intake of the carburetor, that should work right? Im gonna give it a go anyway