Gas Gas Contact 250 2Stroke Oil

russellgasgas

My 98 contact runs @66:1 (same ratio as nelly1 above) smokes a lot @50:1 I use putoline mx7 or motul as mentioned in the link above, have a read of that, basically find a mixture that suits your riding.

maybe start at 50:1 then go from there!?!

Castor based mineral oil! :chairfall:

I knew a grasstracker who had SAE 50 castor oil for his 4 stroke total loss grass tracking engines. He used the same stuff in his 250 Bultaco trials at 25:1. Totally gummed up the engine and the big end failed. Following some lengthy discussion on another thread about oils and mix ratios I contacted 3 oil blenders / manufacturers, all of whom produce mineral, semi and fully synthetic grades of 2t. None gave definitive mix ratios saying follow engine manufacturers / tuners guidance on oil specs and mix ratios. 2 no longer suggest any ratio on their packaging, the other says according to manufacturers (of engine) guidance up to 50:1

2 said semi synthetic was more than adequate for trials and fully synthetic was not required. One was quite adamant on this pointing out their fully synthetic was a racing oil and trials engines were not racing engines. Another pointed out that their semi synthetic was their recommendation for older air cooled MX and trials engines. One pointed out that the additive package and oils specification / approvals was more important than the base oil type.

• Like 1