New To The Scene And Bikes!

blackpoolsherco

Hi there to all that can help or give advice!! Ive just bought a 2011 Sherco ST290, is there anything I should look out for? good bits/bad bits? Also the previous owner told me he's put a slow action throttle on it? What exactly does this do and how do I know if its definitely on the bike? When im out with my friend who rides a 2004 ST250, his bike seems to be quicker than mine? now I know there not built for speed but we cut down a few lanes/tracks in a quarry where we are riding and his seems to go off like a rocket in 2nd/3rd gears and is ever so quiet and mine just seems to make a noise and not move as quick? mine seems raspy/barky? Also the previous owner tells me to leave it on map1? He says theres no point in switching to map 2 as theres no difference??? Whats the job of the map button?

All replies will be much appreciated, thanks ROB

if youve a domino throttle.. peel back the rubber grip on your throttle you ll see its plastic underneath.. black is slow white is fast..slow means that for a given turn of the grip the throttle will be opened slightly less. the bikes will still go the same speed just go about getting there slightly differently...

overall speed is relative.. engine size engine sprocket wheel sprocket gear selected revs all play a part and all add up.. after all a ford fiesta driven by vettel would probably lap a grand prix circuit quicker than my grandma driving a formula one car..

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to trials. I had a situation with my Sherco 07 in that it had too much get up and go, so over a period I slowly retarded the ignition to a point were I was happy. The bike was also raspy and noisy so I cleaned out the exhaust and repacked the muffler and bugger me the bike improved in performance so much I had to retard the ignition a tad more. So there might be your answer. Next question is... :unsure: ?

Cheers Taff

The 2.5's of that vintage were deemed "quicker" bikes and a bit rippy! I had an '05 and set the timing back a bit to settle it.

The later 2.9's are tuned a bit more for torque and better control ans smooth power, but get a handful and you will still be on your butt quickly!

Slow vs fast throttle is something like 10-15 degree rotation difference to open fully, which you may not need.

One would need to compare to other later bikes exhaust note as the muffs have changed, however if yours is too rhaspy it is likely sacked out and needs cleaning or replacement. They are not designed to re-pack, although some have done it.

with being new to trials i would say you are better off with a slow throttle and for lanes and road i never use first and second gear i just go from third, i would definitely try to listen to another bike of the same year and make before you do anything to the exhaust being as the only thing you have compared it with is your friends st 250.

The only part people haven't made a comment on is the map settings? is there a difference between 1 & 2 that's noticeable? The previous owner of my bike tells me to keep it on map 1 because apparently theres no difference between them?

I've had shercos for the last 3 years now and never noticed a single bit of difference. I was told that that only the top riders can tell the difference and that was only in the higher gears at full revs, so take from that what you may.