Hard Starting If Unused For A Week -User Error

totty79

Silly question but you are turning the fuel off while the bike is parked for the week?

Does the tap let by when in the off position?

When the bike starts does it run very fluffy at first?

The bike my flooding if the float needle has a small leak when closed this would also need some other minor carb faults but so minor that the bike could run fine once started.

• Like 1

The fuel is turned off when it's parked, the tap did not leak last time I took the tank off.

It has ran poorly on startup on several occasions needing some throttle to clear it so that it would rev cleanly.

I'll drain the carb before I do anything else to see what's in there.

On my only other 2 stroke (mini motto) I have had problems with oil build up in the carb as it has no tap -but has a tiny tank that easily drained. I haven't used it for years now anyway.

Hi

You don't say weather you have cleaned the carb, if not you need to do that first and check that the choke jet is clear and is opening when you turn on the choke (fuel enrichment jet probably) I am not sure what size engine is in the 321 model but if its the 350cc as in my 320 model then try using the higher/super grade fuel. I always use it in mine and it's pretty much always a one kick starter no matter how long I leave it.

I have never needed all the rocking back and forth (not since I was in a craddle anyway) but do push kicker gently till I find compression, let lever back up then one solid kick with my body weight, without snatching at the lever.

Try it.

TLTEL

I have an 03 280 that does the exact same.

The ONLY way to get it to start, take the plug out, light spray of ether or carb cleaner, starts first kick.

I can IMMEDIATELY shut it off , it will restart first kick, and start first kick all day and everyday , let it sit for a week or more . . .

Same process.

Carb has been off, checked by me, and 2 others, changed jets, SAME deal.

Edited by toothandnail

The carb hasn't been cleaned yet. I think it's 327cc and it does look like an enrichment rather than a choke. I've avoided using 'super' fuel after I had leaks on two bikes on their first tank of BP Ultimate - it ate through the liner on one tank and the fuel tap seals on another - I might chance another brand if the other tips don't work.

toothandnail, I have resorted to a spray of easy start (ether) in the airbox and a few kicks later it runs so the symptoms match.

Hi,

I have not had any problem with leaks on mine or my sons Gassers, the ether spray will start any thing even if it has no spark but remember there is no lubrication in it and it should not be used as a "cure" .it should in my opinion only be used as a last resort emergency.

Dismantle and clean the carb I am sure that's where your problem is. New plug too.

TLTEL

what is this fuel loses its volatiles.. ive a number of bikes and some go 18 months without running and they start easy every time. a fella took a bike from me last week that i had nt run since the day i bought it at least 18 months ago.. it started 3rd kick for me and the next day when he picked it up it started 2nd kick and ticked over to the point he turned it off..

I think this is an American thing and may well be true there but I would discount it as the main reason with a uk bike.

new plug and carb clean, set up tickover and air screw spot on, clean air filter check float level and function, don't forget banjo filter if its a dellorto, my guess if its still the same its technique.

My 300 always preferred full throttle shut off as it fired up so as stated above some bikes have quirks

I feel a right idiot owning up to this. It was user error, what I thought was choke on was just taking up the slack - lever needs to be vertical for on!

It was obvious as I was taking the choke plunger out the carb.

Started 1st kick when the carb was refitted. Carb very clean inside, some jet heads damaged from someone over tightening them (common theme on this bike) but otherwise ok.

I feel a right idiot owning up to this. It was user error, what I thought was choke on was just taking up the slack - lever needs to be vertical for on!

It was obvious as I was taking the choke plunger out the carb.

Started 1st kick when the carb was refitted. Carb very clean inside, some jet heads damaged from someone over tightening them (common theme on this bike) but otherwise ok.

Don't be too hard on yourself - you may have solved a long standing problem for a few more Gas Gas owners.