Talmag 2014

gautrek

Well I must say what a brilliant day out it was. Even though I was soaked to the skin by about 1 o'clock. I managed to finish around 3-30 in the sun. I bet they will buy a cray supercomputer to work my score out as I didn't manage to get round most of the sections after about section 8 on the first lap. I didn't start until about 10-50 and just saw the back of Jons head as I attempted to go over and talk to him as he rode off at the start. I did think the wait at the start was just long enough to get soaking wet and freezing cold before you began.

I do need to sort my gearbox out and stop it dropping out of gear in second. This meant that most climbs were either 1st of 3rd gear which meant neither gear was right. I will drop a smaller sprocket on the back for next year as my bike is so low geared it was a bit unsuitable for this trial. The old man's route I did wasn't too tight so I should be able to get away with more speed for the long climbs. I did also get lost looking for section 15 and ended up riding around with a 5 others for a while. Us girder fork guys had a laugh as we all seemed to clump together for most of the first lap.

I managed to clean section 8 (the long climb with the sand half way up) first time round but by the second lap the side cars had dug a trench across near the top which meant next to nobody could get up. But I cleaned about 5 sections before the conditions made it a bit impossible for me and my limited skills. Its a shame that it rained so much. I think in the dry the old man's route wouldn't have been too bad to go round as early on there seemed to be lots of grip everywhere. But I didn't go there expecting to worry the leader board. I just went for the day. So all in all a brilliant event.

Oh and as I said to my mate at the start. Modern events just don't have the same noise in the pits do they. Give me "proper" bikes any day. I did like the T120 sidecar outfit and it sounded lovely as it went round.

GEDC1469.jpg

The T120 outfit

GEDC1479.jpg

Come in number 77.

GEDC1470.jpg

very nice T100 triumph. We couldn't work out what gearbox it was

GEDC1465.jpg

The first video i have seen on you tube. I'm about 3 mins in on the red tanked bike. stopping half way up hungry hill.

Edited by gautrek

Hi Guys.

Just take a look at the last picture, of five Pre 65 !!!! Bikes look at the vid and then tell me we don't want more of this for the rest of the year,

Come on the time is right don't you think ??? Now they have been out of the shed once this year ,keep Um out.

If you are interested ??? I am sure some of us would be Intrested in doing something about it!!!

The Deryk Wylde series perhaps???

Speak up now OK.

Regards Charlie, Proper Bikes.

Hello all, if you want more TALMAG minded trials, we have the Mons trial in november in Belgium and also there is a trial in Arnhem Holland in september (plonkers pleasure trial).

I believe, this was the 2Oth talmag I entrered and I dont remenber such a wet and muddy one.

Entry fee, for us, is verry high ( 62£)but we will come again next year.

Kind regards,

Christian.

ps; congratulations to the pilot of the FLYING DOUGLAS, I folowed him all the segond lap, WHAT A SPECTACLE!!!!

Edited by christian

Hi,

If you look at my posting of the 2002 Talmag in my Offroad Archive section, I believe the Douglas seen in the line-uo of bikes photograph is the one we photographed eleven years back for ORR - young Matthew Neale aboard that year.

Enjoy.

Shame we didn't get to catch up Gautrek,but there is always next year ! Hopefully my AJS will be nicely run in and ready for a good thrashing up those big hills.... BTW the gearbox in the pre unit Triumph is from an Ariel Arrow.The bike belongs to the Hand brothers who have only recently finished it.Has to be the most compact pre unit Triumph ever built.Steve and Roger are excellent engineers,that bike is one in a long line of bikes they have built,including complete frames,hubs,fuel and oil tanks etc.

True trials enthusiasts,and both are very good riders too.

Amongst all the other very smart and interesting bikes there,one that caught my eye was a rigid Triumph TRW with an all alloy engine - looked and sounded fantastic.There is one I see ridden in Golden Valley trials that is very similar,not sure which I'd like to own/ride most,one of those or a TR5 with the square barrel generator type engine.Either would be a real treat.

Shame we didn't get to catch up Gautrek,but there is always next year !

Yes mate I have my van space sorted already. Plus the Premier Inn is only about 5 mins away so its a very nice set up for us coming over the night before. Its not as good as the Arbuthnot trial as we stop in the pub where its starts which is even better.

Yes it is the same Douglas that Matthew has ridden in the Talmag most years since 1998 and Mick Andrews rode it in Scotland in 2009. There used to a more Douglas Comps in the Talmag each year but there have been no others for the last few years. I rode it in Scotland in 1985 and it only gets used two or three times a year.

Well i have done the Talmag in the past 1994-2007 on Triumph Cub,Triumph Twin 5 TA and the last years on my 250 Ducati Daytona.It was always good fun and it was always in these years cold and dry or a bit snowy,but this looks very mudy.

There is a new pre 65 only Trial the last years,it is in Sleen Holland.My mate Ralph on his 300 BMW single and i went there,

it was not muddy,it was bloody cold minus 5 degrees and we had snow.

Have a look on the pics:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=c7b6786bb16a23d4&id=C7B6786BB16A23D4!1224

Cheers:Mike

• Like 1

Just a small clip this year ,to wet for the camera I have , think I got the red tank panther in the 5 mins it didn't chuck it down though . :popcorn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-zkFsXr8Zw

Opps just seen you have found it above ,,,,,,,the nice triumph in the pictures above had an ariel arrow gearbox.....he needs to sort that Villiers carb out though ,sounded like it was being strangled when the big twin needed breath on the long hills ,nice bike though ....Rich.

Edited by lucky