02 2.9 Clutch

sherco666

does anyboby else experience this problem? when i start the bike from cold i have to ride around for about 5 mins with the clutch level pulled in to the bar, before the clutch will disengage. any ideas please? i am using Sherco recommended oil. when cleared it works perfectly. cheers

Hi,

I know with my Mont, and with friends Mont's the stock plates do this also, but swapping them out for plates supplied by Haven Trialsport the problem goes away 100%.

Maybe they have plates for Sherco also.

Ian.

There are several variations on how to avoid / correct this.

On mine, and yes they all stick, or have stuck at one point or another, I usually start my bike, while allowing it to warm I pull the clutch in and let it out several times, then when I go to start, I put the bike in 2nd gear with the clutch in and it usually disengages right then.

I always, always, always try and point the bike towards a clear spot when doing this (any bike) just in case it decides not to release smoothly.

Two of my favorite campfire stories involve Dad on a Frontera, one he had just changed his pipe, and could not get it to "clear" came on the powerband and cleared all at the same time, ran over the guys brand new painted and reupholstered Alpina while the guy was fueling it, and I do mean ran over.

Different Frontera, big motorhome with steel bike rack on the back with generator, revs it up, clears it out, drops it into gear with a stuck clutch, I believe he still has the scars from that one!

I have found that regular oil changes help eliminate this problem. When mine starts sticking I change the oil. Sherco USA recommends Maxima MTL 75 wt.

Putting the bike in 5th gear, pulling in the clutch and kicking it through with the kick starter will usually release the stuck plates.

Wayne

Kicking the bike while in gear if the plates are stuck isn't a smart move, would you start your car in gear, it's asking for somthing to break.

Having many Sherco's I too found when the clutch starts to drag, just changing the oil cured the problem.

Edited by ishy

Kicking the bike while in gear if the plates are stuck isn't a smart move, would you start your car in gear, it's asking for somthing to break.

Having many Sherco's I too found when the clutch starts to drag, just changing the oil cured the problem.

Me too, use tqf, change frequently, doesn't do it, if ridden regularily.

I have had the same problem with both 290's that i've owned.Neither regular riding or oil changes make any difference.There are two ways to get things freed up:

1-rock it in a high gear with the engine dead as described before.

2-Rev the nuts of it in neutral,clutch in [i'm told it distributes the oil],let the revs drop to idle and engage a gear as normal.My mate showed me step 2 but would only do it on my bike, never his own Sherco ....strange :ph34r: !

I'm with the ROCKING bunch as well, however one time I was doing this on the wifes 1.25 and it caught and went((ticked over) when bumping backwards, it took off forewards and really got my attention!

I have also had them release, start the bike, place into gear and it is stuck again, so Be Careful where you are aimed!

Many times I just start it and put into first gear and intentionally ride for a few seconds with the clutch in untill it breaks loose using rear brake and throttle to apply shear force on the plates.

It is always worse if the bike has set up for a week or more!

Cheers and watch where you point that thing! :ph34r:

Never had a problem with my 2.5, I've not had it that long but it ain't stuck yet.

A Beta TR34 I once owned was a pain for this, I found that if I put it in 3 gear, pull the plug cap off and kick away untill it freed itself off (three or four kicks used to do it) :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

on my beta it does the same thing as well it is because my clutch basket is not smooth i have had it out and smoothed it out by hand it has made it a bit better but the basket aint perfect all i do is start it up hold both brakes on with the clutch in and hold it flat out and click into gear it jolts a tiny bit but then it is freed off and works perfect