No More 260 Race Reps Until 2015

jj65

I sometimes wonder what goes on at Honda UK, how much they support their dealers and weather they really care about customers.

Several years ago I wanted a large capacity Honda road bike so I enquired at my local dealer. They did not have any in stock but said they would get back to me in a day or two. When they got back to me they said Honda UK might have some in about 6 weeks but could not be sure. I then bought one from a grey importer who had 2 in stock and could get as many as he wanted from a Honda Belgium warehouse at a few days notice.

The 4 Honda dealers reasonably local to me (Neil Sissons, White Bros, Bill Head & Bob Jackson) have all gone.

One of the funniest stories I heard was a sales pitch from a well known suzuki dealer. A lad I know was contemplating a grey import GSX 600 as it was much cheaper than official UK bike. The official dealer told him grey imports were made of poorer metal than the UK spec bikes.

I sometimes wonder what goes on at Honda UK, how much they support their dealers and weather they really care about customers.

Several years ago I wanted a large capacity Honda road bike so I enquired at my local dealer. They did not have any in stock but said they would get back to me in a day or two. When they got back to me they said Honda UK might have some in about 6 weeks but could not be sure. I then bought one from a grey importer who had 2 in stock and could get as many as he wanted from a Honda Belgium warehouse at a few days notice.

The 4 Honda dealers reasonably local to me (Neil Sissons, White Bros, Bill Head & Bob Jackson) have all gone.

One of the funniest stories I heard was a sales pitch from a well known suzuki dealer. A lad I know was contemplating a grey import GSX 600 as it was much cheaper than official UK bike. The official dealer told him grey imports were made of poorer metal than the UK spec bikes.

Maybe he wanted a lighter bike....... :chairfall:

• Like 2

I would not use a grey importer, They don't have the backup, or don't have to have the backup that is needed with a new bike, also they may have difficulty road registering it now, a few friends have made this mistake by using a grey importer. Official dealers do have the backup of Honda, one of the biggest names in motors, if you phone Honda with a frame no from a grey import they don't want to know. Thats why not, imo.

I would not use a grey importer, They don't have the backup, or don't have to have the backup that is needed with a new bike, also they may have difficulty road registering it now, a few friends have made this mistake by using a grey importer. Official dealers do have the backup of Honda, one of the biggest names in motors, if you phone Honda with a frame no from a grey import they don't want to know. Thats why not, imo.

ok.

So if I told you there was a dealer who has vast knowledge of the 4rt has been in business with the 4rts longer than all the dealers in the uk put together, has registered several of the imports and could have supplied a repsol to you anytime over the last few months you'd still say no?

what back up do you need from a dealer that has no depth of knowledge with perhaps the most reliable trials bike?

Why would you want to deal with Honda uk anyway when they cant supply a bike readily available across the channel? (nb by European law they have to help you grey import or not)

What back up do you need if they can't sell you a bike in the first place ?

• Like 2

To the list of 4 Honda dealers I mentioned above I have now remembered a 5th - Mayson Wear Snr - former Honda MX dealer. (who gave good service) who found it not economically viable to continue.

Regarding level of service - A Honda 5* dealer I used could not even get a tubeless tyre to seal on the front wheel of a road bike, worse still he fitted a tube instead and did not warn me of the speed restrictions and other risks. Same dealer left an engine bolt out and did not fit the oil filter correctly on my friends 900 - oil filter fell off on the A1

The grey importer I ended up getting my 1100 from let me have long test rides on three different bikes and could not have been more helpful, he is still in business.

Steveo - Are Ossa supplying free donkeys to carry their bikes down under? A few lads up this way could do with one to save dragging their Ossas off the fell.

Edited by dadof2

Steveo - Are Ossa supplying free donkeys to carry their bikes down under? A few lads up this way could do with one to save dragging their Ossas off the fell.

The donkeys were available with the earlier model Ossa's that were hard to start.

• Like 1

Now I find that really interesting, you are saying that youve never ridden one properly and the one you did have a go on was a 2009? But youve ordered a repsol?

I'm not being daft here but I find that incredible, what are your reasons?

I spoke to a dealer recently and he pretty much said that almost without exception a purchaser will know exactly the bike he wants before he comes in the door and no one can change his mind,but to do that without a proper go on one is surprising to me.