Gaerne Boots Now Leaking

ian e

Hi All, my Gaerne Balance "waterproof" boots are now letting in water. They are about 18mths old and I've treated them with Gaerne polish after every event but I think the issue is the folding membrane possibly at its base where the fold tucks are really tight. Anyone know if this membrane can be repaired or replaced?

Ian E

06 Montesa 4RT

81 Ossa Gripper 350

My Gaernes do exactly the same, there are small tears in the thin membrane where its stitched to the leather at the top front of the ankle. If I knew it was going to be a wet trial I used to put polythene bags over my socks, far more comfortable to have your feet warm in damp sweat than soaked and frozen in the first deep beck.

I wonder if someone still makes gortex / ptfe waterproof socks for mountaineering, I once considered them but they were horrendously expensive.

Hi Ian,

To sell a boot as waterPROOF could be taken as misleading marketing, and could fall foul of the fit for purpose trading standards rules. A wrist watch guarantee is water resistance not proof.

I have used seal skinz in the past, very good but after a lenght of time they started to let water through, i then got a pair of ex army socks and they are still water tight after a number of years use. I bought them from an army and navy shop in Sheffield, on London Road, called Jay Jays, phone 0114 2555819. Stephen.

Sealskinz are the way to go as for using plastic bags I would strongly suggest no one bothers with this ridiculous idea. If you want a cheaper alternative to sealskinz the goretex army socks as Stehen suggests above are a good second best.

Maybe these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-ARMY-MVP-WATERPROOF-SOCKS-SIZE-8-10-BLACK-GRADE-1-LIMITED-STOCK-/171246436349?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item27df153ffd

• Like 1

Never got on with Sealskinz. I think plastic bags are better!!

I can't see why it is so difficult to make a waterproof trials boot. I have waterproof work boots that are actually waterproof and are a fraction of the cost of trials boots.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys. Bought some Sealskinz which arrived today. Fit tightly with the insole removed. Expect they'll give a bit with use. Sod's law my next event is in a quarry with little deep water but I'll give them a go.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...