Novice Novices & Not So Novice Novices!

greeni

Speaking of kids in trials...

At my one and only trial comp there were a few kids doing the sections. At one stage I was with one guy's dad ready to grab his son as he went up vertical bank for first time.

He made it and we didn't have to grab him or the bike… immediately everyone watching broke out into spontaneous applause! I said to him "Well done"! He had a smile as wide as his ears… damn fine encouragement there!!!

In another section one dad and his son were heading into a section… the son for the first time and on an electric bike, he was about 8-9 yrs old.

To save his dad dismounting for that section I said I'll walk beside him in the section. Which I did. He had a bit of trouble on a sharp rise and went down sideways. I grabbed the bike bars with one arm and him by the arm with the other. He still went down but not as hard as he would have.

He got a little teary and I said "Good go there mate! Not sure I could get up there?". He said "Thank you" as his dad just arrived and said "Well done there buddy, that was a bit steep there huh?"

He looked like he would not go on but he did try quite a few more sections before retiring just plain worn out!

I think in the main the kids are well taken care of because they are sort of expected to need help because of age and size… they're kids and may need a hand after all.

As an adult, on a trials bike, because of size and age its more like he can do it like the rest of us… yet you may be a rank beginner. Hopefully that gets picked up on in the first few sections.

At the next trial I enter I'm going to ask at the riders meeting if there are any beginners like me and see if they want to do the sections together and help each other through the "walk through" and then the ride through… Is that a done thing? Or will I look like a tosser?

Maybe one good rider could ride with us through the sections… but geez, they might be a bit bored! Hehehehehe

Even if we did it so slow we only did 20 sections on the day … being around the same skill level (or lack of it (smile)) we would not feel so much pressure?

Mags

At MOTA riders meetings (well at least 95% of them) We ask "Are there any new riders?" No hands raised, we all go off and act like our goofy selves. If a hand is raised, then it is asked if they have someone to go around with them or if they need someone or if someone would ride around with them,..... etc...

It seems to work.

Zippy,

Oh ok! So there are club thats actually do that… thats very cool! Not many people would enjoy coaching a beginner around… maybe a stunning 25 yr old blonde babe would get a line a helpers! Hehehehehe Especially with "no visible panty line" in her trials pants!

One thing that I will always remember wherever my trials journey takes me in the future… I will never lose sight of beginners love encouragement and a little guidance.

Now where is that babe! Excuse me Ma'am… you really should have a spotter for your first 40 sections!

Mags

At MOTA riders meetings (well at least 95% of them) We ask "Are there any new riders?" No hands raised, we all go off and act like our goofy selves. If a hand is raised, then it is asked if they have someone to go around with them or if they need someone or if someone would ride around with them,..... etc...

It seems to work.

Hey there mags. You would be a tosser if you didnt ask for help and your club would be a bunch of them if they didnt offer. My first event was a joke and I felt like a tosser when I was done but all that did was inspire me to work harder and get better. A year later, me and another first timer on that day, are teaming up to travel 1600km to go ride nationals together. Trials is a place where friendships are made and I take my hat off to you.....sounds like you are going into the sport with the right attitude.

So now when is your first?

• Like 1

Zippy,

Oh ok! So there are club thats actually do that… thats very cool! Not many people would enjoy coaching a beginner around… maybe a stunning 25 yr old blonde babe would get a line a helpers! Hehehehehe Especially with "no visible panty line" in her trials pants!

One thing that I will always remember wherever my trials journey takes me in the future… I will never lose sight of beginners love encouragement and a little guidance.

Now where is that babe! Excuse me Ma'am… you really should have a spotter for your first 40 sections!

Mags

Not only would she need a spotter, but I am unfamiliar with the trail so could she please ride ahead of me and guide me through the trail to the next section?? :wub:

• Like 1

Mokwepa,

I read your entire thread where you had just started to learn stuff. Man! Take some credit there, dude! I can't believe your progression…. all the way to trophies, inspiring!

I can practice here every day but only balance and fig 8's as the yard is not big enough to set up obstacles. I'm in a capital city here in Australia and in the suburbs so no go riding a non-registerable bike anywhere without the cops sending me to court.

We spend 3 weekends a month (sundays) at a local 750 acre motorcycle park where we practice the stuff I see on vids. I can pop the front up onto an object 2 ft or so but can't zap the back wheel up yet… I'll get there, no rush.

Once able to do the novice line in a comp I'll join a club… most clubs allow non-members to ride their comps, you just have to pay the extra fees and you're away.

Our goal is for my wife and I to ride novice lines in comps… together! I can see a little stirring of each other… her on the Beta 4T and me on Montesa 4RT.

We are heading out camping for 3 days next weekend with the trials bikes (and my enduro bike) and will have a ball with no lions to worry about…. although, last time out I hit the top of a hill and ran over a 7ft Black Snake… front and back wheel went over before I could turn! Almost crapped myself… it was angry!!!

Mags

Hey there mags. You would be a tosser if you didnt ask for help and your club would be a bunch of them if they didnt offer. My first event was a joke and I felt like a tosser when I was done but all that did was inspire me to work harder and get better. A year later, me and another first timer on that day, are teaming up to travel 1600km to go ride nationals together. Trials is a place where friendships are made and I take my hat off to you.....sounds like you are going into the sport with the right attitude.

So now when is your first?

I like ya thinking here! Where are the 20 and 30 something ladies on trials bike? A distinct lack of them which is a shame….

How would a bloke concentrate on the section….

Mags

Not only would she need a spotter, but I am unfamiliar with the trail so could she please ride ahead of me and guide me through the trail to the next section?? :wub:

• Like 1

Here is my super novice wife. She had her first go on a motorcycle only 5 months ago... it was on the blue 125cc trials bike in the pic of her with trials coach.

Other is of her at home practicing her first ever static balance. Used milk crates at first... doesn't need them now! Her PB is just over 5 mins.

Last one is her first ever go "over small log" about 2 months ago.

She's a tough old bird at 50... face planted down hills and fallen over quite a few times but keeps getting back on her Beta!!

Mags

post-20008-0-10734400-1401829848_thumb.jpg

post-20008-0-02066400-1401829874_thumb.jpg

post-20008-0-73156200-1401829905_thumb.jpg

That 4 legged observer has seen so much trials novices that he may be setting sections for us soon!!

Had a great discussion with a long time trials rider on the weekend and he's not impressed with the setting of sections for novice. He was not very impressed with Clubman getting so hard he's starting to put 5's on card and move to next one!

It seems a blurry line between classes????

Here is a few pics from last weekend... we practice as much as we can and are improving, somewhat! it was very cold at 2-4 degrees overnight for there 3 nights we spent camping and riding the trials bikes! The addiction continues...

Mags

post-20008-0-60721200-1402364619_thumb.jpg

post-20008-0-69583100-1402364664_thumb.jpg

post-20008-0-18756300-1402364704_thumb.jpg

post-20008-0-56507700-1402364731_thumb.jpg