Chain Maintenance Preference

davet

Pretty much what i do with the Q20. Q20 is our common, easily available water displacing, general purpose aerosol lube.....very similar to WD40. WD40 is not as easily available here in SA as Q20 holds the market here. Im also a fan of lube often and keep chain clean inbetween.

Yea man, I actually have a variety of stuff, and after an initial or thorough soak in solvent, I will use the Tri- flow lube with Teflon for better lubricity, but it stays wetter and slings off more so just use the WD after.

Dont like using the WD straight away neither, use night prior so the thin carrier evaporates making less sling off mess. In the mud it makes no difference because everything is muddy!

hose off at the end of each ride. take it for a quick spin to dry it out. then just spray with silicon spray.

i've been doing this for years with dirt bikes and get similar wear and longevity to everyone else. i'm not sure if this will suffice with the non-O-ring chain on the trials bike but keen to see how it goes. it's been working so for for six months and riding most weekends. it's been such a hassle free technique with all the dirt and road bikes.

That don't work on non o-ring chains! You need something with better lubricity and that stuff just will not hold up under load.

On you o-ring chains, you are not lubing the internals with it as it is pre-lubed and sealed with the rings on the stressed areas.

• Like 1

Bel-ray Chain lube or WD40 ... Which ever is handy , Clean the build up off the sprockets once in awhile .

I always lube them up after washing bike and lube heavy the nite before a ride so the carrier evaporates away .

I may lube them excessively to some , and I don't recall ever "cleaning " a chain except for washing dried mud off .

I've never had a chain issue , and they last for years ...

Glenn

Ive been useing Bel-ray Chain lube as well, does a good job but what misses the chain from the nozzle then sticks like sh*te to a blanket on the other parts and is a bugg*r to get off! Now taken to holding a cloth around the chain whilst spraying then wipeing the overspray back on the chain. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Ive been useing Bel-ray Chain lube as well, does a good job but what misses the chain from the nozzle then sticks like sh*te to a blanket on the other parts and is a bugg*r to get off! Now taken to holding a cloth around the chain whilst spraying then wipeing the overspray back on the chain. :rolleyes:

I put a piece of cardboard between the rear wheel and the swing arm, attach it with a clothespin to the chain guard, so when I spray (between the chain tensioner and the rear sprocket), it hits the card bord and nothing else...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have been using chain oil (motor chain saw) for more years than I would like to admit both on trial and enduro lubes real good , doesnt seem to pick up loads of **** and it is cheap (and i have to buy it for saws anyway so its always in the garage)

• 2 weeks later...

Monteberg

I have just ordered 5 litres of Stihl biodegradable chain lube for my clubs two day trial. In the uk most trials include rivers. The product mentioned isnt classed as a water pollutant unlike most of the products mentioned in this thread. I did write to two motorcycle oil companies on this issue. One didnt think there was a market for this product the other never replied. Now I have found chainsaw oil im just as pleased.

Competitors will be turning up with a dry chain and we will apply lube at the start. In uk conditions most chain lube is gone in 30 mins of the trial starting.

I have never heard of using WD40 as lube, maybe for a door hinge or something but not long after it starts squeaking again, it just disappears, I heard that WD stands for water dispersant

I use WD a lot but only as a solvent

You can use street chain wax, it does not fling as much, I lube up then spray WD on a rag and give the chain a wipe down just to take the goo off the side links, then dust does not stick so bad

• Like 1