Hi There

mikemike

Hi guys,

I'm new to trial but I already found this forums very useful. I usually ride supermoto/enduro.

I am about to buy Beta Evo 2.9 2t as my first bike.

What should I check before buying this bike?

What would be the first mods I need to do? Any protection for the bike etc?

Any advice for a beginner would be much appreciated :)

Cheers,

Mike

First and MOST important thing!!! is the vendor the rightful owner/have title to the bike!

worst thing in the world is paying out for a bike that turns out to be stolen. You will/could lose the bike and any moneys paid out!

After that check the frame/swing arm for cracks, engine for nasty noises and the wheels are straight and spin OK. (wheel bearings are something that often gets neglected on a trials bike and they are a bit more expensive on an evo)

Also swing arm and linkage bearings need re-greasing regularly and again if worn out will cost around £150.00 to replace including the top hat bushings and seals.

Just keep toting up the cost of replacing anything that needs replacing and use it to negotiate the price. and let your head rule your hart.

I have yet to attend a trial yet, where anyone riding clubman level needs more than a 250, it's a macho thing, I've done it also, and also have a long biking history, and also now have a 250, but I bet he still buys the 2.9

• Like 3

It's probably best to clarify. The bigger capacity bikes are great for playing around, doing big steps, firing up big rocks, but in reality of trials, you won't be doing that until you've progressed up a level or two, but it's your money fella, you spend it as you see fit.

Good advice from those with experience, i also found that a modern 250 is more than enough,my 250 txt gassers were plenty and more and my 280 too much for me and for some other beginner/novices i guess, now i ride my less poky ty250 better than i ever did the gasgas models, i found i was wary of the power and fighting to control it from time to time so not enjoying the ride as much,if nothing else is should be fun,good luck with your purchase

My wife and I started out on a 2003 Gas Gas TXT280 Edition, and while I had some fun it was slow going when learning. My wife then bought a 2008 Beta Rev 3 125 and it was incredibly easy to ride. The weight difference in actuality is only a few pounds, but the combination of a more modern frame design and a smaller reciprocating mass of the 125 versus the 280 makes it 'feel' 30 pounds lighter. I know this is America and bigger is better, but that isn't necessarily true in the trials world.

Today, I took out three complete novices, road riders but folk who have never been on a trials bike in their puff. I had my 250 and my partner came with her 125, and they all said her 125 was much easier to ride and all felt in far more control than on mine.