First Bike For 9 Year Old

westymono

Last sunday my daughter came to trials practice, and has not stopped talking about wanting a bike since after watching my friends daughter riding her beta evo 80.

It may be a flash in the pan as kids have a change of heart once something else catches their eye so i am going to hold back for a few weeks to see if she is still interested and if so,will look at getting her started,

Thinking of an automatic to start and when she has confidence,change to a geared machine but what bike to start on ??? or should i go for a yamaha ty80 and get her riding a geared bike straight off. she is only 9 so a ty would be ideal size and power wise without too much expense but i cant think of an automatic twist and go model as an alternative, budget is aprox £500,any ideas or recommendations please,thanks in advance.

T

Easy answer - TY80 all day long.

Started my son on one when he was 8 and much better than an auto.

He now rides C Class on a Beta 80, but prefers his Whitehawk 80 (Big wheel) for fun to ride

Great bikes to learn on, you can't go wrong

cheers

John

Don't confuse the Beta Minitrial with the Beta Rev 50, 2 very different bikes. Going straight to the geared bike is a gamble, I know kids who have been lost to the sport because they couldn't take to the clutch. Others are held back on the automatics. At age 9 she should be big enough for the Rev 50 if she can handle the clutch, getting one for £500 is a different challenge, TY80 could be the way to go, but she won't want to keep it for long although TYs do hold their value. Clipics are ok for twist n go, as is the minitrial but that might be too small for a 9 year old. Good luck whichever way you go, It'll be a lot cheaper than a horse which is what the girls usually want.

Thank you all for your help, I think the ty80 is a great bike and had one myself to learn on back in 1980 but outgrew it in no time at all,the beta option is a contender but I will have to up the budget should I go that way or thinking of maybe a yam pw80 for an affordable starter bike (or similar) to get her up and running for a couple of months and than switch to a trials machine, again thank you all for responding,great forum !!