2001 Beta Rev 3 Front Suspension Question: "sloppy" Sag

Hi there,
First time trials owner, first time poster. Just picked up an '01 Rev 3 in excellent condition and so far its been a blast. As I'm getting more and more familiar with it, I'm starting to compile a list of questions I need to ask sooner or later.
This one is regarding the sag in the front suspension. I'm going to call it "static sag" which is bike-weight only sag, no rider...
It seems like the portion of suspension between complete extension (wheel off the ground) and the static sag is very sloppy.
In other words, if I pick up on the bars to unload the suspension, then set it down if feels as if there's zero resistance before the static sag engages. The rest of the travel feels normal (I guess) but that initial stroke from full extension to 1-1.5" of travel feels dead.

I went this long without giving it much thought but then found two GAS GAS bikes at the local shop and I cycled the suspension on them and they both feel much, much more progressive.

Any input on this? Is it rather normal or is there something internal I can check/adjust.

Thank you very much!
Looking forward to learning a lot from this group!

Possible it's missing a spacer. I seem to remember a 1.5 inch plastic spacer on the early forks but I could be mistaken. The springs could just be sacked out. Could try the old Bultaco trick of dropping an old chevy valve spring on top.

I don't see any heavier springs listed for that year bike but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Try calling Saunders Extreme.

Have been through this exercise on a few bikes...replacing springs, adding spacers, increasing preload, all to reduce the sag.

in the end, each time, have reverted to the original springs and restored the sag...suspension worked best this way.....wasted my money but learnt a lot

doesn't mean to say you can't tweak things

that initial 1-1.5" dead travel as you describe....you do need that for trials

I would normally agree but a ten+ year old bike could have sacked front springs especially if it was stored or often transported with the forks compressed. I'll tell you this, I went up to the higher rate front and rear springs on my EVO and the bike handles much better now.

• Like 1

Ditto with Dan, my bike is a lot easier to ride with more spring

Took a lot of the fore and aft transfer away while turning, so now I can get some 3's once in a while along with my 5's