Leaking Spokes

waynus

I have a 'new' 03 290 the bike has been used maybe a dozen times, now the rear spokes are leaking air, giving me a permanent slow puncture, I've siliconed the inside of the rim under the rubber seal and crossed my fingers. Any better suggestions ? :ph34r:

Remove the tape, put a small amount of silicon around the rim & put the tape back on. If use too much silicone the tape will not go back in it's bead.

Put the tyre back on & blow it up to 50lb & leave it up until the silicone goes off.

Easy fix.......... Stick a tube in it, I've had mine in for a while now with no adverse affects.

I never trust any tubeless trails rim :ph34r:

Mark

Living the past eh?

Rim / tyre fit is much better than it was 10 years ago.

Add the fact you will get less grip with a tube in.

Mark

Living the past eh?

Rim / tyre fit is much better than it was 10 years ago.

Add the fact you will get less grip with a tube in.

How do you work out you'll get less grip with a tube in ??.

If Rim/tyre fit is much better than 10 years ago how come matey boy above has got slow puntures :blink::ph34r:

Why do you think they dropped the tube in the first place?

Has hasn't got a slow puncture he's just got leaking spokes which there is 10 minute fix for. My spare wheel has a rim tape in it with a hole the size of an egg in it, gunged up with silicone in doesn't go flat.

Just for another approach, I had one that leaked continuously from new. Silicon worked for a while, but the leak came back. Turns out there was a tiny tear/hole in the rim strip. Must have been from putting the tire on and off (problably from me :ph34r: ). New rim strip, no silicon (too hard to clean up afterward), just a little silicon grease. Worked perfect! No more leaks.

Dave Thorpe said that theres less grip with a tube so thats good enough for me.

Also adding another spring cannot be the same can it?

Sorry Guys, but your statements seem a bit lame to me (no offence) :ph34r:

If there is a difference, it aint gonna make much difference to your average Joe Club rider (me).

I can imagine that yes a Tubeless tyre has stronger sidewall's than it's tubed counterpart, but i cannot see how my tyre will now not grip as good just because I've put a tube in it.......the one things for sure I ain't getting any more puntures, slow or otherwise :blink:

Sorry Guys, but your statements seem a bit lame to me (no offence) :ph34r:

If there is a difference, it aint gonna make much difference to your average Joe Club rider (me).

I can imagine that yes a Tubeless tyre has stronger sidewall's than it's tubed counterpart, but i cannot see how my tyre will now not grip as good just because I've put a tube in it.......the one things for sure I ain't getting any more puntures, slow or otherwise :blink:

I do see you point of view, but if I said ride every trial with 7lbs in your tyre would you?

Lame, why?

The best cure I have used is to clean the rim well and put a dab of grease on each spoke end. Wipe the rim tape with a thin coating of grease as well.

Putting a tube in is not a necessary and it does reduce the sidewall flexing thus reducing grip