4rtin The Mud?!

trialspro

Today was the first day i rode my 4rt in the mud! i have had the bike for about two months and have been really impressed with it in the dry and on rocks, but after today im starting to get a bit worried about the winter slowly getting closer to us, i used to ride a gasgas 280 pro, and it would fly through slippy wet mud with no problems, as for my 4rt what a pile of sh**! but im not going to give up. Are there any other 4rt riders out there who no the correct techinque for ridding these bikes in the mud?

My old TLR 250 was the same in the mud..crap!

There is a knack to riding a fourstroke in the mud for sure, I don't think you will beat a nice smooth two stroke for it's overall ease of use in the slippery conditions...very forgiving motors.

The 4ST lumps can be very lumpy which can become a handfull in the slippy stuff.

WM....I'm suprised you can get your's started for a run in the mud...everytime I saw you at S/Shrops you struggling to start it :blink:

I shall now duck for cover :wall:

I have a TLR 250 and when you are dialled in to the 4 stroke technique it is absolutely magic in the mud, alot better than a two stroke which are too smooth for traction in the sticky stuff.

Keep at it, try different techniques until you have it dialled.

Technically, the 4 stroke should be better in the mud anyway due to its smooth power delivery over the 'snappier' two strokes.. ..

Well done on beating Elwyn :blink:

The bigger the 4st motor the more of a kick they'll have.

Allot of folks think the TLR 200 is a far better bike to ride than the TLR 250 for this very reason.....

Stick a good two stroke in a high gear and you'll level most mud situations and have the power to back off and bring it back on again.

I would have a good guess and say the Sherco 4st is more "snappier" than alot of two strokes

Edited by Marky G

I would have a good guess and say the Sherco 4st is more "snappier" than alot of two strokes

Nope!

I reckon between the 290 and the 4T, its easier in the mud on the 4T. But, thats my opinion.. like to hear from a more experienced source.!

Sorry - I'm not the more experienced source :blink:

The Clive trial I think you were on about the other week, I tried the 4T on I think section 2 a few times.

I shoved it in 2nd gear like I would with my 290 - I just couldn't move - I couldn't get the feel of what the wheel was doing.

I knocked it up in to 3rd and had another go, and it was a different bike - cleaned it.

3rd on the 290 would have been a bit 'runaway' in a tight section like that, but the 4T felt much better in 3rd.

I don't know if this fits in with any particular rules for riding 4 strokes in mud?

4rt is amazing in the mud, untill u take out the spark arrester. then it changes the bikes performance in slippery conditions a helll of a lot. for with the spark arrester in that you just stick it in 1st , lean back, and stear it. couldnt find an easier bike to ride when its wet, but then once you need to do bigger things, it just ddnt perform for me, so i got another gasser, brought my newly found four stroke technique to it, and ride it better than ever!!

i dont have any problems taking my 4rt up anything big, infact i find it easyer to ride than the gasser, but it all changes when i get into some mud. maybe i should try using much less throttle in the mud and a lower gear, that would be the oposite to what i have been doin! i think its just going to take time until i can find out how to ride it in the mud! maybe i should buy some of those footrest brackets lewisport sell to make the footrests further back?

I changed the rear sprocket soon after i bought my 4rt. Reading your comments (using a higher gear) should i try reverting back to original, any opinions?

I agree with who ever said "lean back". I ride in Kent with mud being a major obstacle inmy competitions, so getting the bike to grip in slippery mud is very important. A couple of month's back I rode an event that had mud about 12inch's deep in a lot of sections and no s**t when i leant back the bike would lift the front wheel and grip amazingly. The first time i accidently lent back the throttle was two thirds open in third gear and the bike stood on its end. The techinque is all important, Munch (in a different post) has some different footrests fitted to his 4rt, that could, i suspect not require a rider to change stance and lean back.

Munch can you upload a pic of your foot peg hangers.

Edited by spud