Ty250 Mono 88 Lacking Power

dannyboi

Hi, My ty250 has plenty of power, but only at the bottom end of the gears, as soon as i hit half revs and upwards it just doesn't gain any power at-all, which means i resort to staying in the bottom end of the gears.

At first i thought that this was obviously how the trial bike was designed, not the top end aggressive nature like a motocross bikes.

But my friend has one also, and pulls through the gears no problem. I have a ty175 also and i sometimes think that it is definitely faster than my 250, no power issues at-all.

I have changed the gearbox oil, put in a new spark plug, cleaned and checked my air filter and cleaned out my front exhaust but to no avail.

I dont want to start fiddling in-depth with the mechanics, as i know nothing about them, and i do not want to start blowing all my money on it.

Anyone know whats to blame? I race mx every weekend but i find the ty is an awesome bike to ride in my woods, not enough room for the crosser, great balance practice and keeps the muscles used for riding active

I had a similar problem with mine, drove me mad. Turned out to be the fuel. It has to have fresh petrol, if it's more than 2 weeks old the bike won't rev. Before you do anything else drain your carb and tank, put in the highest octane fuel you can get with a good 2 stroke oil and see if that sorts it.

I would suspect the middle box of the exhaust has become restricted due to the build up of combustion products.

Try burning it clear or repacking.

Which tailpipe are you using? The standard aluminium one is very restrictive so try something different or clean it out.

Took the silencer completely off, ran a little quicker nothing special, i think i can remember it being abit quicker, almost keeping up with my friends, but i was young, 13-14 so i can't really remember

Im sure its not the front pipe, burnt it a gooden

Well i used to ride it weekly, and over time it seemed to be getting slower and slower, my friend leaving me behind until it was so useless on the open areas i just gave up on it and started riding the ty 175

I tried small mods like a hi-flo air filter and carbon reeds, didn't help

Im just going to say im 19 and i dont really ride the ty as intended as a trials bike, i have a video on youtube wearing a gopro just messing around in the woods when i was 17 i think, it may help if you heard the engine whilst im riding to diagnose the problem easier? Thanks for the advice so far

m.youtube.com/watch?v=CJo1auNqkgA