Replacing Brake Shoe Pivot Pins?

trailie

Does anyone know how these pins come out? I was going to make new ones from stainless steel. I thought at first they would just unscrew but they wont. Now I'm thinking they might be pressed in on a spline like a wheel stud is pressed into a car hub.

Any ideas?

post-19837-0-70832600-1399487942_thumb.jpg

On some hubs these are cast in. I would be reluctant to replace them unless absolutely necessary. Any subsequent failure, particularly on the front brake could result in a disastrous unexpected front wheel lock up.

On some hubs these are cast in. I would be reluctant to replace them unless absolutely necessary. Any subsequent failure, particularly on the front brake could result in a disastrous unexpected front wheel lock up.

yes i had that very thing about 30 40 mph on tarmac not nice ,someone had cross threaded brake plate stay mount ,bolt came out plate spun round brake locked on sending me sliding down the road , the hub was smashed and the wheel hub , so quite expensive parts ruined aswell

I don't think that they're cast in, that's unlikely. They are in the parts book with a part number so they must be a replaceable item. I'll try pressing one to see if it's splined. But you're right, they would do ok as they are.

www.ralphsbultaco.blogspot.com

Edited by trailie

The pins can have some cranny corrosion which have "glued" them to the cast aluminum.

If you try to pull them out you might damage the aluminum holes.

If you can't resist pulling them out heat up the aluminum anchor plate, aluminum expands at least three times more then steel.

As they work as counter and pivot bearing I would just clean them from any debris and lap

them with fine grinding line. A little bit of copper paste and they should work again.

Hi folks, here's the answer. They press out - no splines or anything - dead simple. I'm gonna make nice new ones out of stainless.

Yes Nigel, you're right, the pivot cam wears into the backplate, if you look up at the top photo you can just see a bit of a brass bush I put in there at one time for that very reason.

But I'm not finished yet. I'm thinking also that I might skim out the brake liner, then make and fit a new one. Has anyone done that job.

http://www.ralphsbultaco.blogspot.co.uk

post-19837-0-99771000-1399578540_thumb.jpg

Edited by trailie

I've made the pins in A4 stainless, although I had to buy a piece of material as the only stuff I have is inch and a half and I didn't fancy turning it down that far.

Perhaps the best pins you will NEVER SEE !! ;)

post-19837-0-07593900-1399912653_thumb.jpg

post-19837-0-76301700-1399912587_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I just opened up my brakes after 30 years in the dark. Hard to get them out, but once out I just took a wire wheel to them. Hopefully they'll work ok. Yours look much better. Good work!

• Like 1