4Rt Rebuild

peter_tenerife

It depends on how much money you want to spend. My order of preference would be:

- rings

- cam chain

- valve seals & guides

- can chain guides

- valves & springs

If you've got the engine out I'd probably do it all because going to the trouble of doing some of the bits "I might as well do them all".

Gonna give my 2006 a new leash of life, got the engine out after finding the oil was a little cloudy and smelt of petrol (??).

What parts do you more experienced 4rt owners recommend changing? its 280cc repsol.

Regards

Has it done a lot of work? or had a hard life?

Any exhaust smoke?

As said, do as much it needs

Have you got the manual with your bike ? If not, buy one as they are great and will be the best tool you can buy for the job.

It covers everything , even cutting valve seat angles.

To quote from the Cummins diesel manual " profit from Knowledge "!

Edited by shyted

Petrol in oil is often sign of leaking injector or carburation fault, nothing to do with engine at all. I had this when the vacuum operated fuel tap on my Suzuki failed.

I would have had a full diagnosis / list of symptoms before removing engine.

I have just serviced the top end on a very high mileage 4 stroke engine and all it needed was a couple of thou adjustment of the valve shims and new valve stem oil seals. Valve seats, bores etc were perfect.

Compression check or a leak-down test first maybe? Bore camera to check cylinder wall, scoring? I know of a 4t in New Zealand has 700 hrs and was taken down to refresh but didn't need it. Barrel, piston kit put back in cupboard.

Mags

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Any point in changing main bearings, con rod bearings?

Bike hasn't had much use, not compared to you guys in the UK! ! I ride now about 10 times a year if that :( before I owned it, it was used more maybe a fee tines a week by a club level.rider same as men

Edited by peter_tenerife

Peter_tenerife, excessive fuel intake from a leaking injector will wash down the bore with the oil and end up in the crank case and unless the rings /bore are goosed i would not discount that from my diagnosis.

There's a test procedure in the manual . The only problem is you would need to crank the motor over therefor have to wait till your re built or provide external fuel pressure via a pump with the fuel system built up,up to the pressure regulator and injector basically .Then observe weather you have a droplet forming .The blisters sound like de-lamination but at best that's a guess.

I will pass on the info in a couple of day's as i'm on my way to Norway just now.

Ted.

You can leak test an injector with a foot pump with a pressure gauge. Connect foot pump to injector with clear PVC pipe with some petrol in. Keep pump above pipe so petrol does not flow back into pump. Pressurise to 50 PSI. Injector should not leak at this pressure. Note the above is a standard test for car injectors that usually operate at about 40 PSI (3 Bar). Check your RTs injector operating pressure and don't use a test pressure that exceeds it by more than a few PSI.

Are you sure the petrol smell came from the oil, not from a nearby rag or petrol can?

Do you still have the drain oil? Is it in an open or closed container? Open container the petrol would have evaporated by now and there would be no petrol smell. Some transmission oils have very different smell from engine oil. Don't confuse the trans oil smell with petrol.