Which Gasser?

jam

Don't know which to go for, had 280 but felt too much at high revs, like 250 pro 2006. Don't like other makes, Mont too much. Rode RTL back in the late 80's.

Had a 93 250 and loved it.

Nigel, do you think the bikes ridden by the people you mention above bear much resemblance to the bikes purchased by us mere mortals?

When I bought my son's first Gas Gas the supplying dealer said "if you're riding it you'll love it, if you're paying for the repairs you'll hate it" and he was right! After umpteen gearbox rebuilds, new clutches, broken rear suspension linkages (none of which happened with his Montesa or Beta bikes) I'm heartily fed up the gasser. Fine if you have factory or dealer support.(and I'm being a bit careful here)!

Edited by Jonty

Other makes also go wrong. My 04 Beta Rev3 had three stators in just 5 trials. The second stator only managed one event. The Gas Gas 250 it replaced had completed at least 100 trials from new and never once failed to finish an event.

Strangely enough the gas gas that you and I can buy do bear alot of resemblence to the works and other guys, were you at Hawkstone or not. Gearbox failures are uncommon considering the number sold and I wonder why some people have nothing but reliability prblems then others no serious issues regardless of make.

i had an 04 Raga Trick bike light as they come plenty of power(too much for me I changed ignition curve to softest)

I had a hard time with it Either the front end was wheeling or the rear was spinning It really was the wrong bike for my ability level.

I have a mont 4rt and am much happier with it it suits my style much better

I dont have the ability to hop the bike around on its rear tire!!! it was a trick bike though wish I was up to its level

Tom

ride a 280 pro with a kehin carb on, slow throttle and i lurve it, ride it really slow speeds and low rpms and it just pulls like a train, its not to much not till little just right. windlestone what is your name, i was at that eastgate trial. ;)

Don't know which to go for, had 280 but felt too much at high revs, like 250 pro 2006. Don't like other makes, Mont too much. Rode RTL back in the late 80's.

Had a 93 250 and loved it.

To JAM...

You got your heart set on the new bikes? Well, I would heartily suggest finding one fine older example TXT era (99-02) machine IMHO. get yer skills up, then get a pro. BTW, nothing bad about new, but the TXT's were lots more indestructible, plus *trail* ridable, and IMHO closer to the bikes you used to ride (rtl)... yet they really are relatively competitive up easily to intermediate & expert levels. Anywho... You know the saying, the master rider can beat me (you) on an oooold ty250 on most days, so it seldom is the bike holding you back in trials.

It is just a suggestion, I came from expert class last ride in '83, was on a 79 Sherpa-t. The 321 was awesome for me gave me some Sherpa familiar power and stuff, with the new tech & suspension to learn.

But if you are a master lever rider (or was) maybe then by golly you will adapt quickly to the new bikes, It took me a few months. BTW I have a Pro 300 now, they seem wicked (scary) for about the 1st 10 rides, after that you'll telling yourself, "Self, why didn't I start with this bike" hehehee but the answer was, because you and your skills were the only holdup... ;)

it is all about getting used to it. The 300 made me re-learn how to control the bike, now I actually use the part that scared me at 1st, and love it.

Edited by Sting32