Engine Rebuild

hughandjen

Hi guys

Help please. Got my old 1973 cota 247 running and ticking over, but it sounds like a bag of nails. Took head and barrel off and there is some play on big and little ends so strip down and rebuild required.

Is there an information guide how to do this as I have no manual. Also can I still get the gaskets and bearings.?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Ive found that its the main bearings that are knackered so have ordered the bearings and gaskets to repair. A friend of mine who has had Montesas says you can change the mains without splitting the cases with heat and pulling them out. Has anyone tried this???

Advive would be great

Thanks

Hugh

I'm sure it is possible. I tried it on a Bultaco M49 engine which is similar in the design of the main bearing fits to the 247. I was pulling the motor apart anyway, so it was just an experiment I did because people said they had done it. I found it was difficult to get enough strength in the weld. I welded a steel tube to the bearing inner and pulled on that.

If your 247 has the original conrod/big end bearing, and it has been parked up for a while, I would say it is false economy just changing the main bearings at this point, because even if it currently has no measurable play in the big end, it is likely to fail unexpectedly which may wreck your cylinder bore, piston and rings

Also consider that many motors with main bearing setups like the 247 develop a problem where a main bearing outer turns within the casing, or the inner turns on the crankshaft. It's common to require the casings to be sleeved and/or for the crank to be built up.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
You'd better strip the whole engine and perform a careful rebuild. Take into account that the bearings were mounted after being heated, to have and adequate fit with both sides of the crankshaft. If you simply extract them by heating the whole engine and after that try to set up the new bearings by pressing them against the crankshaft, the result can be a damaged crankshaft or even an unbalanced one.

These engines are not difficult to repair, if you know how to do it.