Hot Start Mod

dixie

Might be worth checking out what oil was in if you can, First thing I did when I bought my SY125 4t was drain the oil and use Castrol GTX, change it every other trial for the first couple of months then went over to Semi Synth oil (Morris oil if i recall)...never had a bit of trouble with it.

Bit of a long shot but worth a try

Webmonkey,

Mine blew oil out when overfull, within five minutes of riding easy warmup sections. Recommend you measure the quantity in a beaker,rather than filling it by the sight glass.If that`s how you did it ? Think there`s too much room for error. Mine has had a dozen rides since with plenty of fith gear floggings ,and not a drop out the breather. You won`t have a glazed bore.

Rode a trial sun and had no starting troubles what so ever

RE500 you are a god

i also noticed the bike seems to be running cooler in general must have well over 40 hours on by now

Can it really take that long to run in ? maybe so ?

Dixie

Thanks for the comments!

Yes, mine starts first time every time now....as it should do!

Not sure how long the motor takes to 'run in' but mine still seems to get better

every trial...nice and soft of the bottom, but with a massive top end. Ideal for

me.

Cheers

RE500

;) My 4T now has 25 hours on it - The thing that made the biggest difference was fitting the needle/seat from the Delorto 2 Stroke carb. Testing has shown that these bikes run very rich through the range, but the extra fuel from the 350 needle fitted stock seems to cause problems if you ride the bike then shut it off to look at a section etc. Since changing the above and resetting the float level to 19.5 mm - I have had no problems at all hot starting ( unless I gooffed then two kicks wide open followed by one kick closed did the job) - I use the Bosch platinum point plug equiv: to the NGK which is not available in Canada. I checked the valves at 5 hours they were fine - have checked at 23 hours & have some play in the inlet but nothing to worry about. If you take the top end off here is a tip that will save your head gasket when replacing. ( Because the frame support gets in the way) fit the top cover first, then slide the gasket over the top of the cover - lift the cover & position gasket underneath - If you try to fit the cover with the gasket, the gasket can get cut on the top of the cam chain.

I have also fitted a 126 main jet ( the D/O 2Stroke fits) - my elevation is around 2000feet. I also use Chevron 94 with a small amount of VP race fuel - Hope this helps some of you enthusiasts - I had five guys try my bike at a Trial last weekend they all loved it - two stalled it but it started first kick.

aye Outlaw Dave

• 3 weeks later...

W.M

Regarding your fuel tap. I have always turned off my fuel tap on all my bikes following an incident where I managed to fill the crank case on an old two stroke trail bike. Since then I have considered it good practice.....Jeez that was along way home!!