Ty250 Twinshock Shock Reposition

mjb

I'm currently doing up a 1977 TY250 twinshock. I'm really pleased with the engine and steering but I've been considering moving the rear shock in a more laid down position like the majesty (I don't see the point in modifying the frame to getting more clearance etc).

Can anyone give some advice to how to do this? Dimensions etc?

I have a nice pair of Rockshocks at 340mm (standard) at the moment, would repositioning it mean I would need a shorter shock?

Any help would be really appreciated.

When I reposition the shock on my B model, I already had a pair of NJB trial expert 340 mm on the bike. I also lift the motor one inch . I have to tell you that I am not an expert rider, but an experience one. First thing I notice is: the steering felt better, second: when I tune the shock properly , the bike feelt smoother.

The front end angle as changed a bit due to the lifting of the rear, and the longer travel of the rear wheel made it smoother. I can't tell you it made a better rider out of me, but I can tell you it made a happier one.

On the one I am riding now ( B model ) I positioned the shock mount 11 1/2 inch from the center of the swingarm pivot, and the one I am bulding now 11 1/4 inch. If my brother was to buy a TY, I would tell im to first: reposition the footrest and second reposition the shock mount, so ...

Guy

My bike has had the steering head angled altered, to get the bike sitting level again I needed to lay the shocks down.

I ended up needing to move them 75mm which turned out to give the same distance from the swingarm pivot as the majesty, I used a piece of steel with reamed holes in it that fitted over the original mount & held the new mount at the correct position, my mounts were welded to the back of the tube which should be stronger than drilling through the tube as the majesty appears to use