Rev3 Gearing

paul_m

now im new-ish to trials, but know a little about road racing.

I have found that the final drive gearing is weird.

I ride a rev3 200, first gear is a complete waste of time and unusable.

what front - rear sprocket sizes are 1 standard and 2 best to use?

I cannot confirm what I have on it until tomorrow, but they are after market sprockets so not complete std.

cheers, Paul

I have an 03 rev3 200 It has 11t front 42t rear But the power output is soft on steep climbs the exhaust note will change and it will pull I have tried an 07 on the same sections and it was much fiercer and takes off the sections in Scotland may not be the same as your area

ill have a look tomorrow,

I used to set off in 2nd when I first got it but it runs out very quickly so I just use 3rd.

I we just thinking of possibly increasing a tooth at the front to make the final ratio slightly taller.

42 is standard on the 200, don't change it - my 200 came with a 41 courtesy of the previous owner and a 42 made all the difference in rideability. I expect you'll find the final drive sprocket is standard too. Don't worry, you'll find plenty of occasions to use bottom as it is and it's as fast as anything over the hill in the upper gears. You have another 5 higher gears to choose from so there's no point in raising the gearing. I have used fifth in sections on my 200 before now, it's a very flexible motor. It's down to individual style - I know someone who "always" uses second but he's kept the standard gearing because thirty years of experience tells him a lower gear comes in handy.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke
  • Like 1

so standard on a 2006 200 should be 11-42?

I wont change the rear 41 then as I don't need any more torque yet. maybe when I have more ability and require a full throttle clutch dump.

that is if it actually has an 11 on the front. my son was struggling to see.

No big problem I suppose as it's easily put back to standard but, once you get in to some proper sections you'll find it grossly overgeared. Remember one tooth on the front is approximately equal to four on the back. Even adapting for the SSDT Lampkins only suggest a one tooth increase and really that's only due to the relatively straightforward sections allowing the change to ease the roadwork a bit.

Well I thought that front sprockets are only a Tenner. Its meant to be an 11 so I'll go up 1 more to a 12. If I don't like it I'll buy the 11 and nothing lost. I will end up with all sorts of gearing I would imagine. When I out grow this bike I want the evo 200 so the gearing will cross over.

I do really love the 200 and just want to get it to feel really right.

I changed my 4T Cota from 10-41 to 10-43 and it changed the bike for the better IMHO. So much better in the rocky creeks and for doing full lock fig8's creeping 4 inches at a time. So much easier to pop front up on clutch to go over logs and rocks.

My wife had a go and loved it so I went down one tooth on front from standard for her 4T Beta.... she says different bike in the tight stuff and has much improved her mid hill turn around a tree for example and slowed her fig8's markedly.

Water finds its own level they say... so in the end you will settle on a good combination for the job at hand.

Mags

Mags, I completely agree, I'm just wanting to try combinations of stuff to find my own level. As its a second hand bike and I'm relatively new, I don't know what's right or wrong. For instance, I want to raise the bars up slightly as my back hurts after a while, I get blisters after a few hours from gripping on so need to work out where to loosen off and be comfortable etc.

All this can only be achieved by trial and error, and if its rubbish, its only a matter of putting the load parts back on.