Montesa Cota 247

quo 1

Hi John

The bike looks great,

Ive ordered some taper bearings from in motion so all the front ends off.but im struggling to get the old cups out.

you and Wobbler fitted some so any tips,

On the early frame they knocked straight out,but the later frame seems to have a internal seat,

Advice would be appreciated

Cheers Steve

Also does it say what model the double seater is on your logbook as it doesnt on my Spanish one,It might help me track a seaf down

Edited by quo 1

A wee update, new seat unit should be here tomorrow and the tank/seat unit is off to a custom painters who is more than eager to do the job, if it is half as good as he says it will be I will be delighted, he is talking gold leaf instead of gold paint for the coach lines on the tank and finished off with high gloss lacquer. :banana::D

cheers

John.

Hi

Well, after about 2 hours and god knows how many attempts i finally got the bearing cups out using an old long plug spanner sat on the cup lip wedged in by a screwdriver top and bottom

A couple of cracks with a lump hammer, bingo job done.

Still waiting for new bearings and other parts to arrive

Not been idle tho, three hours with an abrasive wheel and lots of spit and polish this into this

Cheers Steve

post-20323-0-08112700-1411414912_thumb.jpg

post-20323-0-12395400-1411415151_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Gents

Thanks for the comments.

As ridiculous as it sounds I think it could be a combination of things.....

I've swapped everything off my other 247 engine ..carb .....carb to head manifold and throttle cable.

Everything seems just a little bit out !!! Throttle cable too long ....I had a longer one made as it was catching on lock ...So I'll try the old one again ...I'll also take the carb off and check all of the connections etc ......

At least it runs and its not too rattly !!!!

Cheers

as always

The Wobbler.

• Like 2

John,

Not really - I don't think you can really improve the feel with the standard steel plates.

It works ok but is either in or out - you can't feather it like a more modern bike.

One of the lads I know has had some plates reworked by putting some fibre on every other (like a modern clutch). He has then fitted a longer brass bar to push on the spider so it clears.

His is a 349 though - and I'm still trying to find out where he got it all done ......

I've just used standard oils as original.

If you try something else I'd be interested with your thoughts ?? As I didn't feel the problem was oil related but facing related!!

On another note - my throttle is sorted - I had a modified throttle tube that I've stupidly replaced with A standard one - hence it wasn't shut off properly

Cheers

As always

The Wobbler