Kawasaki Kt250

gaff

Just found a Kawasaki KT250 (age un-known), toying with buying and restoring it. The bike has obviously been stood for many years, and there is a hole knocked into the right-hand casing that i can put the tip of my index-finger through (this could be repaired or replaced), but saying that, the bike does have a good compression and looks as though it is complete, even has the original fenders and not much wearing-off of the decals. Also there are two cables going into the top of the right casing, one's the clutch (?), but whats the other ? Lastly, what year/years were they made, what is spare's availabillty like and are there any web sites for these bikes.

Thanks in advance.

Gaff.

Gaff

Yes it is the oil pump cable at the front end of the RH case. The clutch cable is about 1/2 way along the RH case.

It is piston port ie no reeds no rotary valve. They run great and are as reliable as an axe.

Yes there is a website and forum and there is even someone (in New Zealand) making first rate new otherwise unobtainable parts for these bikes.

There are two models KT250A1 and KT250A2. A1 1975. A2 1976.

They are the same mechanically but have different paint schemes on the tank and sidecovers. Have a look at the engine and frame numbers if it is important which model it is.

The site is:

http://members.tripod.com/kawasakiKT/index-4.html

David Lahey

Australia

• 2 weeks later...

Gaff, buy it! Me and a friend have just bought 1 each, and I'm really chuffed with it. The chap in N.Z. seem's really helpful, and with a bit of tweaking we reckon they will be quite good. We'll know soon enough, as we have entered the DK Mansell twinshock trial in Feb! Cant beat the rarity value, be great if more people dig them out and start using them.

It wasn't that good last year, sections very straightforward, a couple you didn't even need to look at, plus a couple on banksides for no good reason I could see except to have a muddy one! A change in some of the regular sections would be great (they get a bit repetietive 4 years on the trot) but Avalanche is good but doesn't make a good trial on its own. Thats being very critical though and even if it was identical every year I would probably still go 6 hours driving or not.

I think your being a bit critical, some of the rounds i went to last year were an absolute disgrace!

Do you enjoy travelling in the van for bloody hours to go round a course to tie with loads of other people on no marks lost? What a waste of time.

At least it's a bit of a challenge with a winner at the end of it all, no roadwork either, proper off road loop!

• 4 weeks later...