Fuel Leaking Out Of Float Bowl Overflow!

marky g

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Billy T , I sympathise with you. Does no one listen.

I have had 2 Beta,s in last couple of years and the first thing I do is set the carb exactly as Billy T says in his posts that appeared here ages ago.

Result ? never ever leaks!

I was expecting that post from Billy!!!!!...and sorry if you think I've stirred this up a bit Billy

I actually followed your instructions ages ago..and mine is fine too.....so your help IS appreciated.

I'm just curious as to the "other" fixes that get suggested and their effectiveness or not?

ALSO..please see my other post about alternative carbs...again, that was just out of curiosity as to why Beta owners dont SEEm to dabble with alternatives.

personally I have no problems with my Mikuni, and certainly dont have anything against them.

It is also very much the case with me, that any problems I have in trials is ME and not the machine!!!!!!!!! :D:lol:

Sorry Billy that you seem a little p****d, done the mods you mentioned still no difference mate :D:lol:

Maybe you send your post to Beta direct......my mates 270 O5 model p****s fuel out too.......The other thread is getting interesting with an alternative carb....the Dellorto, sounds like a better fix .

Billy, my 05 250 rev 3 p*****s fuel out! why the hell should i have to go through all this hassle with new bike? If you have all the answers why dont you tell beta or mikuni them! :D:lol::) and sort out this problem once and for all. :D:wall::wall:

Digger

Mikuni sells the carbs as an off the shelf OEM (Original Equipment Part) to Beta.

The carbs are set at the Mikuni factory for a generic bike as they were used on various dirt bike models. If Mikuni set them all for Beta all the other carbs would be off.

It is up to the OEM bike manufacturer or after market person who buys these carbs to open each one of them up and adjust them accordingly. Beta is not about to open up several thousand carbs and adjust them. They bought carbs on a bulk purchase hence the amount.

This carb is basically produced now only as a replacement carb as no new model dirt bike other than the Beta comes with this carb on it from the factory.

Also it is only certain parts of the world that suffers from this problem. Since they have no idea on the Beta production line what bikes are going where in the world it is easier to leave them stock ie (how they came from the Mikuni factory).

:D

Edited by BillyT

I understand what you're saying, but it sounds lame to me.

If I were in the business of selling a machine (manufacturer, importer, or dealer)

I would make sure that my bikes were being properly set up before they got to the customer.

I, as a professional mechanic, cannot imagine saying, "Sorry, pal. That's the way the part was when I took it out of the box. I take no responsibility for the fact that it doesn't work."

I wonder why Beta spec the Delorto as an upgrade?? (better carb for a guess :D )

as a rule you can always bet on jap equipment being well sorted...not this time......

Like I said before, the carb is the only blemish on an otherwise great bike.

I have bought 2mm long series drill bit to drill out carb all the way through but havent plucked up enough courage to do it yet! Might do it in foreseable future, who knows, if this bloody carb doesnt stop leaking soon I will be reaching for the drill  :D

Hi Digger, just waiting for some a new float needle valve and seat to arrive, if it still leaks after that I'll get the drill out and give it a bash, if I make a balls of it I can rob the missues of her savings and buy a Delorto :D

If there's any change left I'll get BillyT some asprin, the dude must have a hell of a headache with all that head banging :lol::)

marky ,Hold your horses with the drill, friend said he never had a problem with his 01 270 rev s dribbling , no wonder! when i checked his carb, overflow spigot had a short length of tube attached bent back on itself and cable tied! the previous owner had found his own cure! thing is my friend doesnt ride trials a lot but his bike runs flawlessy! SO have you got to have an overflow? Apparently NOT! Going to put all settings back to original on my bike, block overflow and try it :D

Just found this off the Beta UK website, the tip is off there prep sheet for the SSDT.

"CARB MOD. I would advise having the carb mod done before the SSDT. The Mikuni carb is designed to let out the excess petrol, in small events this is not a big problem but in the SSDT sometimes you require every bit of fuel possible. If you want this doing we require at the start of a week so we can get it back to you for the weekend. It costs

Edited by Marky G

I presume 'the mod' is the carb drilling ?

Yes, my 02 bike leaked fuel all the time, the BillyT mod cured it for a while but I ended up getting it drilled at JLI's. The 04 bike didn't leak but I had it done for the SSDT anyway. The 05 bike was as bad as the 02! Dropped it off for drilling and picked it up the day after - never leaked since :D

I presume 'the mod' is the carb drilling ?

Yes, my 02 bike leaked fuel all the time, the BillyT mod cured it for a while but I ended up getting it drilled at JLI's. The 04 bike didn't leak but I had it done for the SSDT anyway. The 05 bike was as bad as the 02! Dropped it off for drilling and picked it up the day after - never leaked since :D

Cheers Kinell, I'll get me bits out this weekend for a session then :lol:

thats pretty good value...reckon I'll be sending my carb to JLI soon then.

That SSDT prep stuff is a pretty good read eh Marky?..the only thing that dissapointed me on it, is I wanted to countersink the bolt on my rear calliper holder, (to allow the snail cam thingy to always point upwards)...this is what they suggest, but there dont seem to be enough room to countersink it if you ask me.

Anyway..lets not get off topic...just mention it, 'cause its a good read for all Beta owners if you ask me.

Hope you enjoy your drilling Mark...how about posting some pics of what you do???? :D