Techno Kickstart

beta boy

I put the alloy '99 Techno kickstart on my old '94 Techno - fitted straight on and worked a treat. It also has the advantage of being a bit longer so helped make starting less effort as well.

Edited by wayneg

i'de watch out for the feet slipping off the starter

i've got a huge scar in my leg from slipping off the starter and putting the foot peg in to my leg on the way down

not a pleasant experience, but since then i've learned to kick a bit more jently and be cautious when its wet out

Some folks never seem to figure out the proper way to kickstart a motorcycle. You see them slamming at the lever to sort of get a running start at it, or trying to kick the bike through with the strength of their leg. This makes starting a Beta especially difficult since must of us are less coordinated on our left side.

The best way to start the engine is as follows:

1- use the kickstart lever to bring the piston into the compression stroke

2- hoist your body upward using your right leg until your left leg is nearly straight. You can also use the bars and slight pressure on the left if needed, but not enough pressure on the kickstart lever to turn the engine over.

3- drop your weight onto your left foot/kick starter with a down and back pressure

4- If you loose your balance, dab with your right foot and start the process again. I really prefer the left side starter because sometimes if your engine comes uncranked, it is helpful to be able to hold the rear brake while restarting.

I guess like most everything else, it is a matter of personal preference, but I really think that people who dislike the left side starter, just don't have the knack for it. This method ( reverse the feet) is also better for other makes as it reduced stress on the starting mechanism.

Edited by RonM

I just took an angle grinder to my 95 Techno's kick starter after I was sliding off it when wet. tapered the end out & made sure that I did it so that when close to the bottom there was a knob cut out at the end so that my foot wouldn't come off when at max pressure. Hope this sounds right.

Or just get a 04 Rev3 like me & don't have these problems ;)

Taff

;) Hi Beta Boy...Since you'll probably want it sent air-mail, I suggest trying

www.bvm-moto.co.uk

Speak to a guy called Laurence in the parts department (01453) 762 743

They regularly send parts out to me in Hong Kong, and have so far, been VERY reliable. GOOD luck.......and to all you cynics out there.....NO, I'm not on commision!!...I just think when you get good service (pretty rare these days)...shout it from the rooftops!!!!!!!!

I can't resist this chance to tell about our buddy Chester. He used to ride trials back in the 80s - 90s but he had two separate incidents involving Beta kick starting which certainly did not help his career. The last one was in 97 if I remember right. He was at the "Dabber" trial and was kicking that stubby little shift lever sized kickstarter and it popped back ferciously. The arm took a swipe at his calf which just cleared the top of his boot, ripping open an artery. Within ten seconds there was a two foot puddle of blood on the ground and it was spreading fast. The artery must have been pretty badly torn open. It was a legitimate threat to Chester's life! If not for quick thinking by the trials marshall's lovely parmedic wife, he probably would not have survived. She applied pressure to the wound with her bare hand and sent someone to call 9 1 1 . They showed up with a friggin' great big fire truck at the trials. Funny thing, ol' Chester don't ride trials anymore.