Which Was The Best Twinshock Front Brake ?

bezaboy

Deryk

As far as I can remember, the book is a fictional tale about a mill owning family in the Colne Valley (a very real place as we know).

There actually are, or were, Colne Valley mill owning families called 'Crowther' so the name 'Bankdam' was chosen as it was purely fictional, ie no such place exists in the real world.

I only know the book and never remember it on the tele. Although I do seem to remember a film, will do some research.

Regards

Later edit:-

Yes, there was a film but it was called 'The Master of Bankdam' based on the book (sounds like an early day version of Dallas or Dynasty).

I shall paste in the Wikipedia entry:-

The Master of Bankdam is a 1947 British historical film directed by Walter Forde from the novel, The Crowthers of Bankdam, by Thomas Armstrong.[1] It starred Anne Crawford, Dennis Price, Tom Walls, Stephen Murray, Linden Travers and David Tomlinson. Two generations of brothers struggle for control of the family business in 19th-century Yorkshire.

The film is the story of Bankdam, a small Yorkshire Mill. Run by the Crowther family, around 1860 it prospers and grows under its patriarch owner, Simeon Crowther. After family upheavals the firm goes through several crises under the management of his sons Zebediah and Joshua, who tend in oppose one and other. Joshua dies with many others in Mill collapse, partially blamed on his brother Zebediah. Joshua's role is taken over by his son Simeon. The old patriarch, Simeon dies. Zebediah with ill health retires to Vienna for treatment leaving his son, Lancelot Handel, with power of attorney in his absence. Things at the Mill deteriorate and a fatally ill, Zebediah returns and, with a mob outside the door, in a final scene he makes amends and entrusts Bankdam, not to his own son, but to Simeon as he realises that he is the only person that can save Bankham.

It was produced by Walter Forde and Edward Dryhurst, and directed by Walter Forde.. It was adapted for screen by Edward Dryhurst with additional dialogue by Moie Charles. The music is by Arthur Benjamin, performed by London Philharmonic and conducted by Muir Mathieson.[2][3] There is also evidence that it was produced by Ernest G. Roy of Nettlefold Studios according to his death notices.

The film was made by Holbein Films at Nettlefold Studios, Walton-on-Thames, Surrey, England. It was produced by Rank Films and distributed by Prestige Films.[4]

Edited by sparks2