Recommended Mixture Ratio

jenko72

Have a look at historic posts on this topic.

Why not just stick to manufacturers recommendations? The fact that you have felt it necessary to ask this question suggests you do not have the knowledge to know the implications of not following those recommendations.

There are advantages and disadvantages to using different mix ratios but it is not a straightforward issue.

Think I'd rather put a bit if oil in a can than change oil and filter, and adjust tappets on a 4t.

I'm not sure what the interval check is for the tappets but I've not yet found one 4rt owner who's had to alter them, and although we all change the oil and filters as often as we can (20min job) deep down we all know we could probably leave the job for a year or two without any problems. Being totally honest, oil changes gives the dusty spanner 4rt owners something to do in the shed, and provides justification for socket sets and spanners even if most of the time they gather dust and cobwebs.

There are endless things I love about the 4rt, yes she's a fat old lass and I'd probably improve my results rising something else but for me trials is now all about smiles, and there's no other bike that does that as much for me.

Edited by the addict
  • Like 1

Have a look at historic posts on this topic.

Why not just stick to manufacturers recommendations? The fact that you have felt it necessary to ask this question suggests you do not have the knowledge to know the implications of not following those recommendations.

There are advantages and disadvantages to using different mix ratios but it is not a straightforward issue.

I'm patiently waiting for someone to reccomend WD40 as an alternate to 2T oil

Shhhhh, just let it happen......there is no way to stop this now

• Like 2

So true. Why don't we just follow manufacturers specs?

0007 #18 Regarding WD40 I witnessed an amusing incident several years ago at mx. A rider accidentally fuelled his bike with Contect Duck oil, which is very similar to WD40. He already had some 2T mix in the tank and carb so the bike started and ran OK. After about a minute on the start line it started to smoke a fair bit then the race got underway. The rider did the whole race (15 minutes + a lap), the bike was pouring out clouds of smoke and stank of paraffin / kerosene. After the race he realised his mistake and changed the fuel. The engine was unharmed despite having being worked hard round a hilly sandy track.

#20 What is TCC?

If you ride the bike swiftly and do long hillclimbs 50:1 is as lean as you should go. For pottering about and gentle trials type going 75:1 will be OK.

Castrol do not advise leaner than 65:1 even with their best synthetic oil and many oil manufacturers mark their products advising that 50:1 is the leanest ratio you should use.

• Like 2

#20 What is TCC?

If you ride the bike swiftly and do long hillclimbs 50:1 is as lean as you should go. For pottering about and gentle trials type going 75:1 will be OK.

Castrol do not advise leaner than 65:1 even with their best synthetic oil and many oil manufacturers mark their products advising that 50:1 is the leanest ratio you should use.

TTC= Trials Training Center

http://trialstrainingcenter.com

Doubtful. And doubtful they have them seize. Used to ride there many weekends, never saw a bike seize up. I've run mine at 100-1 for a long time and never had a problem.

Not only does the oil lubricate, its also very efficient in removing heat from the piston & engine

I seen quite a few engines with premature wear due to insufficient oil, so I’m sticking with 50:1 max (40:1 max aircooled)

I’m not playing who’s got the leanest bike, and I'm not to bothered what others do :D

Edited by suzuki250
  • Like 1

Well it won't seize at 100.1 but it will wear out faster and run hot . But running more oil at 50.1 will increase power as it will seal the the piston rings and allow less risk of seizure if you fall off and the bike reves up . And remember you must re jet the carb if you move to diferent oil ratios so if your manufacturer sais to run 70.1 and you go 50.1 you must increase the jet sizes as you will run lean and seize up the engine and vise versa if going less oil you will run rich

Well it won't seize at 100.1 but it will wear out faster and run hot . But running more oil at 50.1 will increase power as it will seal the the piston rings and allow less risk of seizure if you fall off and the bike reves up . And remember you must re jet the carb if you move to diferent oil ratios so if your manufacturer sais to run 70.1 and you go 50.1 you must increase the jet sizes as you will run lean and seize up the engine and vise versa if going less oil you will run rich

Jetting is not quite that simple, what about oil viscosity, air temp, altitude, riding conditions ….ect.

Best bet is manufactures recommendation as a starting point and only add more oil

As b40rt says 1/2% isn't going to make much difference to the jetting

Edited by suzuki250