Selling Stuff Questions

dusty23

Hi all , I know there is a dedicated section for selling stuff but I am at a loss as what to do . My late father inlaw passed away in april and now that it has all been dealt with , ie probate etc , my partner has inherited what can only be described as an aladins cave of bike stuff . The stuff consists of just about every part possible for BSA's , Japs , Nortons and a 4 complete bikes , all pre 65 stuff . I can detail the complete bikes as he pointed them out to me enough times lol . He was into pre 65 scrambles aswell as trials and I know that 2 of the complete bikes were scrambles

It is the parts I am getting in to a mess with . I have frames , casings , a couple complete engines , carbereteurs , gear boxs , wheels , tyres and god only knows how many parts . It practicaly fills my double garage floor . I have absolutley no idea what is worth what , ebay was going to be my first point of reference but I dont what they are ( makes brands etc ) .

Is there any way or can anyone point me in the right direction of help , I am in south somerset if that makes a difference . I am not trying to sell via this topic as I know it is against the rules , just trying to get some help ,

Cheers Dusty

The fairest way is to sell everything on e-bay, on a 10 day auction. You must ignore the "have you got a buy it now price" e-mails, as these sort of people usually want to steal your item, so to speak. Remember "one mans trash is another mans treasure", and you could be suprised how much some items are worth. I'm just over the hill (so to speak) from where your located, and would be willing to help, to identify the parts. I would not want to purchase any parts from you, any parts that interested me, I would bid on e-bay along with everybody else. We've already had contact prior to this posting, so hopefully you'll understand, I have no alterior motive.

i suppose you could find a forum for posting pics of items to clarify what they are. certainly the most unbelievable stuff will fetch money. i was selling the remains of a gasgas only to have a guy ring up asking for a bolt.. he described i checked it and he offered 30 quid .. fo a bolt there and then as it was literally unobtainium.. ( twice stepped for a shock mount) so dont be throwing stuff out .. every penny counts.. only sell on ebay when you ve a handle on what it is and approx value. ,

Thanks guys for your helpful advice . It is true that it is a very sad thing to have to do , he passed away before retirement so never got the chance to fulfil his ultimate dream of tinkering all day , not that he was out in his workshop every opportunity anyway . To him he was a true gentleman of the sport and had just as much fun building as he did riding . His next project was to be a trial bike as he sold his last one and bought a matese , shortly followed by regret !

I will be in contact Mr Greeves as any help would be welcome , as is said there are buckets full of odd things and to me I could not tell you what they are but to him ( father inlaw ) they all had a home and job to do . No doubt some items will end up on ebay but trying to avoid where possible because of the crippling costs . I know he would come back and open a can of woppass on me for burning to much of his money .

But once again , thank you for your help and I will no doubt list a few items up on this forums for sale pages when the time comes .

Many thanks Dusty

Just a thought,Ebay may not be the best way.Did your Father in law not have biking friends locally ? We try to keep bikes or parts local to the area or club if possible,saves all the fees and postage costs.When I was trials sec to Bath Classic I used advertise members bikes on our website and in the club mag.It was nearly always successful and both parties were happy.