All Change?

nigel dabster

Interesting comments ! - I guess we will all know in a couple of weeks, but while we are talking about the Greatest etc - Lets not forget Sammy Miller -

( I realise many on this forum might not be old enough to remember Sammy) He not only revolutionized the sport back in 1965 when he went from 4 Stroke Ariel to 2 Stroke Bultaco - he also worked for the mighty Honda Company as a developement engineer, rider and team manager - but they did not renew his contract and basically gave him the "Heave Ho" - Sammy explains a lot about what it is like to be employed by the Japanese in his book - The Sammy Miller Story - It makes for good reading, and is an incite into the life of the first really Profesional Trials rider. - The salary he got paid was no doubt a mere pittance compared to the mega bucks offered today.

At this level, the sport is all about business especially with the Japanee, - If they decide that Dougie still has value, they will offer him another contract, if not he will be gone. - As someone once said " It's funny how things change but still stay the same"

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some good points Dave!! Steve Saunders was in the same boat, a good second place in the world championship, all looked set for the win the following year, and they pulled the plug.

That was HRC, how much say in who they keep Montesa have, I don't know?.

Doug must still have a lot of selling power, just by the posts on this topic many would like to see him on their brand of 2 stroke.

As you say, nothing changes, well the color of mine and Kinell's hair has....a bit :rolleyes:

This doesn't sound like a man on the move.

[Q]“ It has been a very difficult season not only with the new bike, but also with my injuries. We all knew that the four stroke during its first season was going to be a big challenge, but I think the results have shown that we can be competitive and even win at times. We need to take what we have learnt from this season and work even harder this winter if we want to be champions next year, as the competition is sure to be equally if not more tough in 2006.”

But it does sound like a man up to the task of giving the 4rt the championship in 06.

Just remember Doug is still on the MOnt payroll.Any comments made at this time will reflect a positive outlook for the future. He is a professional doing his job! If in fact he does happen to sign with someone else for next year, I wouldn't expect him to have any negative comments either about the 4t!

Maybe we could run a book on when Dougie will announce who he will be riding for next year.

The later the date the higher the chance it will not be with Montesa. I am sure he will return to Beta before he retires from the World Championship level. The odds would be on that it may be this coming year but Honda do have deep pockets. They may keep him on just to stop him from riding Beta.

Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer.