Ignition Woes...

axulsuv

Is there a possibility anyone out there knows where I can get a nos or remanafactured stator/pickup plate for my 83 240 pro??? The two that I have both appear to be heat sensitive. I've already updated to a late model HT coil, but after riding it for 15 to 25 minutes it'll lose it's ignition at the most inopportune moments. Not very confidence inspiring at all...

Any and all info greatly appreciated, As I've got the old girl set up to my taste now and I'd really like to be able to use it with a little faith that she won't die when needed most...

Test specs, tips whatever...

Glenn

Hi Glenn

Having been through the same problem several times with 240 & 300 Fantics, it is almost certainly the low tension coil, not the pickup.

The LT coils, after years of water/condensation etc will corrode and eventually break down. The symptoms are that it will start and run ok when cold, will get progressively more difficult to start when hot and then stop altogether! Its the heat expanding the coil and creating a gap where the wire has corroded through. You can get the LT coils rewound over here in the UK at reasonable costs.

Unlikely to be the pickup, as that acts as a trigger....and if its faulty, the bike will not run at all.

Let me know if you want any names/numbers for the rewind people.

Regards

Martin

Martin; I've installed a HT ign. coil from a late model,as the oe.silver can coil started leaking oil and developed a short to ground, or are you refering to the windings on the stator plate?

And of course any info on contacts for someone that can rewind would be priceless to me, I really like this old bike!!!

thanks,Glenn :blink:

And while I'm puttig the First stator back in,does anyone know what I should do with the lighting coil leads as my bike will never have lights on it?

Can they be paraelled with the ign. windings to up the amperage to the HT coil I've installed?

Just a thought...

Thanks, Glenn :wall::blink:

Years ago I worked on a single shock 247 Fantic that wouldn't rev up. It would idle okay. The stator wires were pinched where they run through the case thus lowering the voltage.

I was told by Bob Miller from Section One Trials ( no longer in business )that Ducati stators used in some scooters were the same.

Anyone know how to get in touch with Bob Miller (San Luis Obispo,CA)?

This diagram is from a 307,247 and 125 manual but was the same as my 309.

8X10 Printable Right click and save to your computer.

Image4.jpg

:blink: Thanks Dabnabit,I've got the original owners manual for my 240 and it lists everything as 6 volt so I was wondering if I put the lighting coil in parallel with the ign. coil if I could get 12 volts out of her, as the ht coil(7) appears to be the same one in your diagram. Not the tin can that is depicted on my wiring diagram, but the rest of it is basically the same...

Now does any one have the ohm specs to test the two stators and triggers I have? before I flip a coin on witch one to put back in?

Thanks, Glenn :wall::D

Edited by axulsuv

I had ignition trouble with my 240 recently, the measurements I made are; LT coil (working fine) 737 ohms, Trigger (reconditioned) 39.6 ohms. If you are not going to have lights then just take out the lighting coils (orange & brown wires) and leave the LT coil (red wire) in place.

:hl: Well after making one stator plate out of two and sealing the case as best as possable, She fired 1st kick while still on a milkcrate naked...

I think she likes me cause I take care of her and gave her a makeover!!!

But I would still love some contact info for some new? ignition parts, the trigger I used only has about 12mm of lead coming out of it!!! Makes it kind of hard to solder a new lead that has to bend right out of the trigger...

Thanks for the support,

Glenn :blink::wall::D