No Ssdt Chat?

highland lassie

Hi,

To help generate some SSDT chat - how about a puzzle picture to solve.

Photographed by Jack Knoops in 2010 at the Pre-65 Scottish is rider number 56, which the entry list clearly identifies as Colin Bailey from Whitby on a Trifield 500.

The bike is clearly an HT5 or HT3 Ariel, so is it a swop of bike, or a swop of rider and bike?

We want to use the photograph (without the watermark) in a major feature on the Pre-65 Scottish in forthcoming ORRe digital magazines - but we only use accurate images (that is complete with correct captions), so please can anyone solve the problem, 'cos if we are not sure of the correct identification - we don't use it..............

Thanks in advance for your help,

Deryk Wylde

Always enjoy a puzzle... a quick google search finds that Colin does ride an Ariel at times. Not definitive proof but another piece for your puzzle :).

Colin Bailey muscled his Ariel round to beat the little maestro of the 1970s and ’80s, Brian Johnson, by three marks.

Jack Peace cleaned up in the youth intermediate category while siblings Zac and Claire Collinson took the youth B and D class wins.

The event was used to raise funds for Comic Relief.

Expert: Andy Chilton (Beta uk.com) 9, Ollie Kendra (Gas Gas) 22, Josh Sprintall (Gas Gas) 63.

Intermediate: Isaac Gale (Beta) 33.

Clubman A: Shane Monkman (Gas Gas) 9, Ben Myers (Sherco) 17, Mark Cameron ( Sherco) 19.

Clubman B: Colin Bailey (Ariel) 14, Brian Johnson (Sherco) 17, James Wainwright (Beta) 19.

From this article: http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/speedway/whitby-trials-ace-andy-chilton-3665460

Edited by michael_t

Another piece fro you puzzle from the Arial owners forum...

Competitors are buzzing all over the place on their bikes as, with 181 starters, it can take a couple of hours to get everyone away. Here No 84 – Colin Bailey from Whitby heads to the start on his ‘HT’.

DSC_8054_zps79f1ccbc.jpg

Hi michael-t,

Thanks for the picture from the Ariel Owners site, which prompted me to look through my archives which includes a good selection of entry lists, and yes, I found that Colin Bailey (number 84) rode an Ariel HT5 in the 2014 Pre-65 Scottish, so I hunted through the photo archives and found several more of Colin - so thanks, my original query is now solved, it was a change of machine.

I wasn't certain because the HT5 in my original posting is very different from the highly modernised HT5 that you see in the 2014 images!!!!!! Just look at those interesting new front forks and the alloy fork yokes.............

So, that problem solved and I can continue with my major review of the Pre-65 Scottish planned for the issues of ORRe leading up to that first week in May, starting with the next one to go on-line, which is issue 20 - and don't forget if you take out a subscription now you will immediately get access to the first 19 issues without any further costs...........that's over a thousand pages of classic offroad and no watermarks......

Enjoy - the photograph was taken on the second day of the 2014 Pre-65 by Jack Knoops.

post-19290-0-56195700-1428219049_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Guy's.

Hi Deryk.

The fork yokes look like modified, TY 250 Yamaha to me? the complete forks may be fitted inside the Norton? sliders.

Did you know that 38mm fork stansions will fit directly into Norton sliders without the need for the expense of say £500 to have 35 mm fitted?

But that would not be right would it? But I do know of one that had 38mm under the gaiters. and it makes a lot more sense now that every thing else is covered up?

Regards Charlie.