Noisy Clutch Basket?

piggywiggywoo

I have an o4 200 Pro, the clutch basket seems to be getting increasingly noisy .

With the lever pulled in all is quiet and smooth.

The engine runs sweet with the clutch in.

I know all gassers have some clutch noise but mine is really painfull.

Could it be the thrust bearings ,the basket,or may be the kickstart idler gear,

any help would be appreciated.

Ahh, that naughty rattle when the clutch is out. I hate that on mine, but if you say it is painful to listen too, I'd say have a mechanically GG mech see it or listen before opening it up. Or pop the cover and look around/investigate to see if anything obvious has gone wrong and go from there. That's what I'd do, but I'm no mech. :(

And I'm sure someone else has a better answer than I, but its my 2 cents.

I have just finished rebuilding an 03 pro that I have just bought and mine was doing the same thing. What I found was that the clutch piston that releases the plates was not sitting against the spring fingers which caused the fingers to rattle around. If you pressed the clutch in slightly the noise went away. The easiest way I found to fix this is to remove the impeller assembley and clutch hose, then take off te clutch cover taking care not to damage the gasket (you dont even need to remove the oil if you lie the bike completely flat on its side). pour a little bit of dot 4 into the hole where the clutch hose goes onto the cover and very slowly pull the piston away from the cover until the fluid that you have just poured in goes to the bottom then repeat the process until the base of the piston is about 1.5 inches from the inside cover (this is a good time to check there is no air in the piston assembly by slowly pumping the piston back and forth to release any bubbles). Once you have done that re-fit the clutch cover and when you push it on to the gearbox casing the clutch piston will be pushed into position and all the excess fluid pushed out. The piston will now be sitting perfectly on top of the spring fingers so they cannot rattle around.Bolt the cover back on and back bleed the clutch from the clutch and all should be well.

Hope this helps.

Edited by rhaines

it could be this, or it could be the kickstart idle gear, i know my dads went at the weekend, but dont panic, you can still ride with it, so long as it doesnt get into the wrong places it wont do any damage to the bike, only to your mind :( . but still, if it DOES get into the wrong places it could be costly, get it into your nearest gg dealer and get it looked at.