What Did You Do To Your Bultaco Today?

scot taco

Bultaco 199, If you are going to use Barnett plates, there are several places on TC as to the set up.

With a cable in good order & 4 springs you can have a nice 1 or 2 finger clutch if that is what your

wanting.

1st plate in has to be earless unless you enjoy slipping when kicking.

Stock is also fine, requires

all springs.

Nice bike by the way. See also" Action Shots in Bultaco."

Larry

Edited by lbhbul
  • Like 1

Disassembled the forks on the rat. ( model 92 ) Removed the double seals in each leg and did a thorough cleaning. Replaced the seals with a single KTM sx65 seal in each leg. I also tightened the springs in each seal. Not sure who came up with this mod, but I learned it from Larry. Refilled with 180cc of ATF in each leg.

I can say that I am very pleased with the result.

Tripp

post-20122-0-44868800-1431478608_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

My falling skills made me think a larger seat might be in order...

Found a cheap and nice seat for my "rider" tank!  Love this forum, as Larry is helping (to be read: DOING ALL THE WORK!) seal my pretty, red Sherpa tank. Sent off my cylinder to get bore and new piston, so I hope to one day (soonish) post a video of it starting.  I only imagine there will be MANY more questions/problems before that post!

Thanks!!!

post-20184-0-97086600-1431624434_thumb.jpg

post-20184-0-54328100-1431624465_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I did have a free morning, so got buffing my newest parts and swapped out the rear brake lever.  Anyone know where the old (less toothy) one came from, or is it homemade? 

Waiting on more parts...

Enjoy your weekend!!!

Sammy Miller Products, it's not home made.

Edited by sparks2
  • Like 1

Well another fun few hours in the shop today, if you find that your clutch on your bike

that you are sorting for the upcoming event seems to have an inordinate amount of drag

this may be part of the problem; flat bearingpost-14329-0-23357400-1431816728_thumb.jpg

This is from a 199A and( the more common one)post-14329-0-49137900-1431816825_thumb.jpg

They are different as to the lock screw locationpost-14329-0-18599700-1431816994_thumb.jpg

I hope this works, spot of weld , now it cant come up.

Larry

• Like 2

Hi Larry,it is possible to renew the flattened ball bearing,I have done 2 of my 5 bikes. Scribe very carefully from the centre of the ball bearing round to the back to get a good centre pop pretty much exactly behind the bearing. Go slowly,check often. I then use a cordless drill on very slow speed with about a 2.5 drill to make a start.It is difficult to make a start because of the round shape of the metal,the drill tending to skate off. When a start has been made,transfer to a mains drill with a 3 or 3.5 drill to go through to behind the bearing. I use some cutting fluid as the metal is quite hard.When finished drilling a sharp rap with a pin punch will easily knock the bearing out.No punch? Cut off a couple of inches of an old spoke & hold in a pair of pliers,or a hardened masonry nail such as an Obo will do,but grind the point off flat first.I found a replacement bearing in my tin of assorted ones collected over many years,so I have no idea of the size needed. Just check the old one with some calipers then find a new one about the same size. Just to mention while I think of it,the correct size of one in the centre of the clutch release rods is 5.5 mm. In Motion have them. Hope this helps,John.

• Like 3

John, Scott and I have discussed what to do here and decided to go the above as we had several earlier actuators

on hand.
I would imagine he will get to working the bad one as time allows.

Thank you for your input.

Have a nice day

Larry

• Like 1

Larry was not only busy working on my tank today, but also dealing with me calling every few minutes with more and more problems.  I am thankful for this great forum and folks willing to help!!!  Got back my cylinder, all nice and clean.  And the new piston too, but turns out the piston pin would not fit into the new top end bearing, so Larry is crafting me some spacers so I can reuse my old bearing.  That's above and beyond helping out, my friends!!!  And Tripp pitched in too, sending me a gift of the rubber connection for the pipe! One day this bike will come alive - just not this weekend...

post-20184-0-10712800-1432345490_thumb.jpg

post-20184-0-96416300-1432345520_thumb.jpg

Edited by robbiesty175
  • Like 5

Pretty good day yesterday, tank all clean and ready for lining

post-14329-0-12510300-1432425923_thumb.jpg

Three passes and clean the threads, unmask and get out of

the shop cause the fumes are getting to me, I'll add the newly refreshed

seat later, turn the fans on high.

Gotta get some fresh air!!!

post-14329-0-50959000-1432426439_thumb.jpg

Have a nice day

Larry

• Like 6

Larry,

That looks like a pretty good job!

Tell me, whats the reason for wrapping the tank? I'm not really up to speed on painting at that level. What's the procedure?

BTW, I'm impressed with that compressor and pillar drill!

Larry 2

Larry, was wondering if you were still kicking around , good to hear from you again!!

I was protecting the tank as it was already painted before I had it to line the inside with a

two part epoxy to hopefully prevent damage from modern fuels, (no ethanol regardless).

Had good luck during the cleaning process and subsequent lining,(no drips).

Mailed it off to Texas this morning.

Larry