4Rt "bogging Down"

cjallison

my 4rt has started " bogging down" when you go for a big handfull of throttle it bogs down ,if i back it off for a split second it picks up and revs fine , if i go steady on the throttle it picks up revs as normal ,but if i open it up and keep it pinned the revs die and will eventually stall

ive cleaned out all the usual bits - air filter fuel filter, anyone got any ideas??

Also i did 8 miles on the road on tuesday getting back to the van after observing but again the bike was fine running sweet as a nut ,i didnt nail it on the road just nice and steady

Edited by cjallison

My advice is not RT specific, it is just the first things I would look at on an EFI car with these symptoms.

Check any fuel filters and fuel pump delivery pressure

Check for water or dirt in fuel

It could be the potentiometer track on the throttle position sensor. This is incorporated within the throttle body on the 4RT. Suggest you borrow a known good throttle body or have yours checked out by someone with Honda EFI diagnostics kit. I do knot know if the potentiometer outputs are accessible for checking with an oscilloscope or meter.

Having a bike to swap parts is the easiest by far on the 4rt`s. We have 4 bikes at work and two complete spare bikes to keep them up. Check all your connections and grease. But once it all dries out it might clear up any way.

I had this on one of my 4rt's, the only problem I have had in 9 years of 4rt ownership.

Turned out to be the throttle position sensor...basically it will read up to 99% but when you go to 100% the sensor will loose its signal and the engien dies.  because it looses its signal it will cut off the fuel.  when you back it off a fraction it picked up again.  You could try another throttle body...or maybe try and insert a stop inside the cover where the throttle cable goes in to stop it at 99% so it cant go to the point off the sensor where it looses it reading.