Swm Or Ty Or You Tell Me

the_italian

hi there folks.

first post from myself.

I will introduce myself immediately in the usual "presentations" post.

I have years of motorbikes experiences mostly thumpers.

I would love one of these SWM or a Yama TY or (suggestions) as a registered light trail bike and fun bike for beginners trials.

how is parts availability ?

reliability ?

fun factor ?

easyness of living with ?

what else should I consider ?

thanks

I cannot comment on parts availability in your region, but parts for the TY should be much easier to be found.  I assume you’re speaking of twin shock TY's?  If so, in my opinion, the twin shock TY's are known to be very reliable and easy to work on....the TY's just always seem to run.  With a few easy to do modifications, the TY's are very easy to ride and very competitive with other twin shockers that are many years "newer".  I just past up a purchase of a clean 1984 SWM  jumbo at a very low price because my modified 1977 TY250D rides much nicer...but, this is just of my opinion and my particular bike.  Either bike in good running/working condition will provide you enjoyment, but I'm a TY fan. 

Both are good options, but it would have to be the Yam - twinshock or mono if you want an easy to live with bike that you can abuse, but fix when and if you do manage to break it...  I rode a trial last night on a ty250 twinshock that I bought as a scrapper about 7 years ago on Ebay.(Didn't want to get my AJS dirty) A day spent tinkering  on Tuesday and a 1/2 decent s/h rear tyre and I've ended up with a useful spare bike. Total outlay £220...   But they don't come up that cheap any more. 

They are good bikes, even bog stock as this old banger is, its still very capable and easy to ride.

All bikes have the pluses and drawbacks and choosing between them all can give you a headache, we all have our favourites and we all get the fun from whatever we choose.

I'd say the TY and for a bit of run trailing and trialing as a beginner, as Jon V8 points out, I'd perhaps look for a TY Mono from the 80's.

The older mono class hasn't yet taken off, so they can be picked up far cheaper than twinshocks, which are getting expensive (and a better investment than an ISA these days) and parts even rarer (and expensive).

They are well catered for by spares, new and used.

You could likely pick two complete bikes up for the price of a twinshock.

They are hard to kill and always seem to ride better when they are shagged out!

They all rattle!

You won't be crying if you drop it and break the odd part.

And as you progress you can chop and mod it without fear of loosing a load of money, lowering and postioning the foot rests further back and front disc brake conversions are popular.

They came with a "road kit" from new, so depending on what your laws say about road legal, it should not be too hard to put lights and speedo on one if needed.

Edited by goudrons

I would try riding both if you can, in standard trim they both have a very different feel. I would say that if both are unmodified the SWM was always going to be more powerful and competitive.

I have no idea what they are like on the road as my experiance with quick riding on both has been limited to between section dashes

I'm happy to be corrected but my experience of the rotax engine (as fitted to the SWM) is that they will run quite well and reliably even when pretty much worn out and don't tend to get noisy like they TY's do when wear becomes excessive. Shame the SWM clutches are an aquired taste

• Like 1