New 2015 Sherco Factory 300 Forks Clicking?

pittbull

Hi, I've noticed that lately my forks have been making a clicking noise when fully depressed. I'm not sure now if it did this since new but I do not think so. They work very well, no oil leaks, no damage etc.

I haven't even done any serious drops or jumps with the bike. I am not a typical 150lb rider but a 200 lb guy coming from an extreme Enduro background. Most of my riding so far with this bike would be more Enduro with alot of trials type section. So with all that being said I don't believe I've abused the bike in any way to cause a problem. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I might be hearing when pushing down hard on the forks?

The front disc brake floats and makes a clicking feeling sometimes when you cycle the front forks.  First time mine did it I mistook it for the fork.  Sheer panic ensued, but upon closer inspection I noticed the front brake caliper floats and occasionally makes a noise like that.  

Just a thought - may be your forks.... I'm by no means an expert.....

The front disc brake floats and makes a clicking feeling sometimes when you cycle the front forks. First time mine did it I mistook it for the fork. Sheer panic ensued, but upon closer inspection I noticed the front brake caliper floats and occasionally makes a noise like that.

Just a thought - may be your forks.... I'm by no means an expert.....

Ha ha ha I had that panic after the 1st ride. Discovered the floating disk issue right away. This is in fact inside the fork. I can make the noise even if avoiding the brake and pushing the wheel against the wall. The reason I'm concerned is because years ago I had a BUELL XB12SCG street bike with a similar noise. They never did figure it out, just replaced the forks. Thanks for your reply though.

A couple of Beta Evo's and recently my 2915 Gas Gas have done as you describe. On the Beta's it was due to slight wear on the steering head bearings, I adjusted their pre-load and clicking stopped. The Gas Gas has just started doing the same, however the same remedy has not worked, compressing the forks with my hand around the top yoke and steering stem bearing housing I can feel a tiny bit of movement as they click, at the minute it's work in progress. Alarmingly I had a 2005 Scorpa (some say, as reliable as a hammer) the same clicking noise turned out to be a broken steering stem, it had snapped like a carrot immediately below the lower steering bearing. The stem was aluminium so I machined a mild steel replacement and all was well. Also check steering yoke clamp bolts, fork brace bolts and axle clamp bolts, they may have become insecure after bedding in.

I had this with a rev 3 and after pulling the forks off could see the fork tubes were moving in the clamps a little bit.  I polished with scotchbright, cleaned throughly, reassembled, torqued to specification and the sound was gone.  A couple of years later, a similar sound came back and it turned out to be a loose nut on the top of the steeing stem.  

• Like 1

As a couple of others have said, I'm betting its the top nut on the yoke needs re tightening.

I've seen it on many bikes every time machine examining for an event and most riders are oblivious to it! It's not a reason to exclude a bike from riding though.